Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • mixing red jewels

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

mixing red jewels

Postby mbargas » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:30 am

I have some really nice red jewels (probably lifalili), two of which have formed a pair, and have a very intense red coloration the obscures all of the black spots. More recently I added some H cristatus to the same tank and they are being kicked around by even the smallest lifalilis.
Part of it is the home turf issue, but it has now been few days and the cristatus seem very meek by comparison.

Should I separate them or will things eventually settle down?
mbargas

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Chromedome52 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:07 pm

Separate the two, cristatus are known to be more mellow than standard Jewels. And likely you don't have lifalili, as the fish that have been going around the hobby for decades as lifalili are just another population of guttatus.
Whenever something seems too good to be true I find it's best to shoot it, just in case. - Fiona Glenanne on Burn Notice
Chromedome52

Postby mbargas » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:08 am

Chromedome52 wrote: And likely you don't have lifalili, as the fish that have been going around the hobby for decades as lifalili are just another population of guttatus.

I've heard that as well. Currently there are some for sale that are stated to be true lifalilis, original breeding line directly from Congo. Unlike my "lifalilis" (or whatever they are) these have prominent black spots. I am thinking about ordering some:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/ ... 1335755408

any thoughts?
mbargas

Re: mixing red jewels

Postby mbargas » Thu May 17, 2012 10:29 pm

here's an update.

I removed most of the cristatus jewels but not all of them since they were hard to catch. There was a mated pair of lifalilis (or line-bred guttatus) that had spawned already 2 or 3 times. One of the remaining cristatus colored up and lured away the male "lifalili" who subsequently abandoned his mate. The "lifalili" x cristatus pair has now spawned and I expect to have 100's of fry pretty soon.
mbargas

Postby gutted » Fri May 25, 2012 7:45 pm

post some pics! i rescued a hemichromis sp neon and he/she is really starting to grow on me
gutted

Postby mbargas » Sun May 27, 2012 9:56 pm

OK, picture quality not that great. Lifalili male on R. cristatus female on L. Fry now about 1/4" and very active.
mbargas

Postby mbargas » Sun May 27, 2012 10:19 pm

This pic is a bit better. The cristaus in front:
mbargas

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species