Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Undergravel jets and African catfish

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

Undergravel jets and African catfish

Postby Jayce913 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:13 am

I have a question about undergravel jets, it seems they stop things from hitting the gravel, would this adversely effect the sifting species like Catfish, or freshwater clams. I want to make sure it wont adversely effect there feeding habits if I make on for my new tank.
Jayce913

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Woodworm » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:31 am

Catfish aren't the only sand sifters that there are and not all catfish sift sand (thought most were predators) so I don't know for sure one way or the other on that, but I'm sure there are others on her that have more knowledge and/or first hand experience with it. The fresh water clams/muscles are filter feeders so they are drawing nutrition from filtering particles however small out of the water column so in my mind the additional movement may help them survive. I "catch" them out of my local water and put them in one of my tanks and they live for a bit before the loaches find them and have them for dinner so my goal for them is probably different then yours.
Woodworm

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species