Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • jewel cichlid fry

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

jewel cichlid fry

Postby nicklaz4 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:31 pm

So i was wondering i have a mating pair of jewel cichlids and i was wonder around how many fry they can have at one time. I have heard that they can have twenty five up to a hundred and fifty is this true[/i]
nicklaz4

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby oldwheat » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:28 am

Depending somewhat on which species of hemichromis that is involved, they can often have spawns of up to around 500.
oldwheat

Postby RifterFish » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:17 pm

yes, around 200-300 is about right. But they are very sensitive fish as fry and most of them will die, leaving about 25-30. The pair can spawn every 2-3 weeks but will let the fry eat the eggs until they reach about 1 -2 inch, then the male starts to get irritable and will begin chases the juveniles. Unless you are prepared to tank lots and lots of fish, let them breed in a community tank (over 55 gallons) and let nature takes its course. You can get overwhelmed with jewel fry pretty quick. They are egg laying machines.
RifterFish

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species