Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Sexing

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

Sexing

Postby Malawidude5710 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:17 am

How do i sex Jewel Cichlid?
Malawidude5710

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby RifterFish » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:20 am

This is very difficult without venting. When small the females usually have a paler belly and are smaller then the males. But that is so hard to see. There are no apparent differences. When they reach about 2 1/2, the female's belly will visibly bulge when she is ready to spawn. Also, around 2 inches you will see pairs beginning to form. They will swim together, eat together, and sleep together. Also, when they get around 2 1/2 inches and ready to breed, the male will kill all the other fish except his female companion, including other females. Are you trying to fins a pair or just have one and want to know what it is? How big?
RifterFish

Postby CichlidKnight » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:06 pm

Males usually have more pointed dorsal fins, and grow to be larger, and darker in color. Females tend to have all round fins, and yes, get a very large bulge and round belly when breeding season, and tend to stay smaller.

-hope this helps. :thumb:
CichlidKnight

Postby RifterFish » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:43 am

That is true in most species, but with Jewels all the fins are rounded in both male and female. Oddly, its a little easier to tell when they are juveniles because of size difference and color. When they both mature, they are the same size and color. I can barely tell mine apart anymore. Here is a video I made of my Jewels with their fry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWHtAizk0ZQ
RifterFish

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species