Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Help me stock my tank w/ Vics

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

Help me stock my tank w/ Vics

Postby Rostasteve » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:54 pm

I made some bad buying decisions and mixed Tanganyikans w/ Victorian Haps...so now I have to decide who to keep. I know what has to be done to turn it into a Tang community tank.

What are my options if I decide to keep the Vics (and get rid of the Tangs)? What other Vics can I stock? What Malawi mbuna can I mix in?

It's a 46g bow front tank.
I have a pair of P. sp. "red fin piebald" and a pair of P. sp. "rock kribensis". They're all 2.5"-3.5". The piebald male currently rules the tank...no injuries but he chases everyone else around.
Rostasteve

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby D*N*R » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:55 pm

Im not the expert but my kid has a tang tank and its hard to find colorful active peaceful fish. For Me finding cool vics isnt as easy as mbuna but easier than tangs.
75 gal.cobalt blue-acei-venustus-2 obliquidens-2 kribs-1eureka& 1lemon jake peacock-2 labs- rusty-2 p.chromis ruti isl. get along swimmingly
40 breeder-tang
20 long (aurtus-demasoni-ps johanni)
10 hosp.(red top peacock)
10gal. hosp.
D*N*R

Postby AlphaWild » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:50 pm

I know many Vics can be mixed with the right mbuna species. I'll defer to someone more experienced about your specific ones, but I imagine you'll want more females of each to keep the male aggression in check. What are the dimensions on a 46 bow? Could be too small for 3 harems?
AlphaWild

Postby skurj » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:51 pm

Not sure but vics are kinda nasty, they might be better off with mbuna...
55g Corner Saulosi, Yoyo, BN Pleco
skurj

Postby Rostasteve » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:24 pm

I'm looking for someone who has experience with these 2 species. Vic have an unfair reputation for being very aggressive, but that's only the case for some species. Sadly there seems to be much misinformation about them so it's hard to decide what to stock.
Rostasteve

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species