Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Haplochromis Ruby Green and Ptyochromis Hippo Point Salmon?

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

Haplochromis Ruby Green and Ptyochromis Hippo Point Salmon?

Postby Frigid Blue » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:16 pm

Would I be able to keep these together with little chances of hybrids? I know if the fish is a mouth brooder than its possible, but what are the chances of it? I haven't seen any reports of hybrids on the Internet, has anyone tried this before? They will most likely be in groups of 2 males and 4 females.
180 gallon: All Male Haps & Peacocks
135 gallon: Malawi Hap Breeding Groups
90 gal: Juvenile Growout
4 x 20g: Fry growout
22g Long: Pygmy cories, Mischling and Fire Red Shrimp
34g RSM: Clownfish, PJ Cardinal, Watchman goby, Tiger Pistol Shrimp
Frigid Blue

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Fogelhund » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:31 pm

Victorian types hybridize quite easily. Personally I wouldn't mix these fish, but perhaps others can speak up if they've had success.
Fogelhund

Postby alanastar » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:51 am

Hybridising may not be such an issue but trying to feed them properly may be, they have very different diets.
alanastar

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:23 am

I thought the Ruby Greens were very timid and the Salmon Points not so much?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby AlphaWild » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:57 pm

I've not kept "Salmon", but I have "Ruby". I would think telling the females apart would be next to impossible, based on the profile pics. Also based on reading, it seems both need to feel like the dominant fish in order to color up, so you might only have one group colored anyways. That being said, my Ruby males frequently scrapped with a male peacock while I had both groups in a 75 for several months. Everyone colored and bred during that time. I now have the Rubys with a new group of P. chromogynos. Far too early to draw conclusions, but right now everyone's colored up.
AlphaWild

Postby Frigid Blue » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:25 pm

I feed Dainichi pellets, so the dietary differences don't matter as much. Just came across this video on youtube with the two species in a 75 gallon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76yQveRG ... re=related
I see subtle differences in the horizontal stripe in the females and subdominant males, would this be more obvious at a closer look or is it always this hard to ID these fish? If I were to keep the two together, one species will probably be larger than the other due to availability reasons, which would hopefully make the females of each species easier to ID in the beginning.
Frigid Blue

Postby StructureGuy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:52 pm

They can both be reasonably timid. I had a colony of each together as adults but only for a few months. They both colored up nicely and never picked on eachother. The females are very easy to distinguish since the body and head shape are very different. (Salmon have slender bodies and a rounded head with the mouth closer to the bottom.) But like I said, it was only maybe 2 or 3 months until had a better arrangement for them.

Kevin
StructureGuy

Postby Frigid Blue » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:22 pm

Glad to hear that there is still a chance of success from such an experienced moderator! :D So should I go for it or choose one over the other? By the way, they will be going into a 6' 135 gallon with some juvenile 2"-3" haps as tankmates. As the haps grow larger they will be relocated to another tank.
Frigid Blue

Postby StructureGuy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:36 am

Frigid Blue wrote:So should I go for it or choose one over the other?

The body shape is different enough that they aren't likely to hybridize in a 135 gallon tank as long as there are plenty of females of each species. But since they share some of the same coloration (red mostly) I wouldn't keep them together myself (long term anyway :D ) if I planned to breed and distribute them.

My ruby greens bred constantly. I had two males show good color in a 55 gallon tank. I distributed over 500 fry. The salmon are somewhat finicky. They bred for me easily enough but no where near like the ruby greens. They have to be extremely satisfied with their surroundings to color up. Many people never see a lot of red from this species at all. If they do show their best color, it is stunning. One of the most brilliant red colors of any Victorian.

I throw my excess males into a catch-all 180 gallon tank. In that tank both the ruby green and the Hippo Point salmon display a very muted color with almost no red at all.

Kevin
Last edited by StructureGuy on Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StructureGuy

Postby DJRansome » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:00 am

I was advised not to mix the Ruby Greens with haps. Now that I have my haps (and they are the peaceful ones, LOL) I'd say the Ruby Greens might have trouble coloring up.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Frigid Blue » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:04 pm

The P. Hippo Point are all full grown at 4.5" and are a confirmed breeding group. Forgot to mention that I will be getting 3 younger backup males, for a total of 4m/4f. Would the extra males encourage the dominant one to color up? I am prepared to split up the subdominant males if they get too aggressive towards the females. The haps that I have in the tank are quite docile compared to the ones in my main show tank, and I will be thinning out my haps soon anyways. So from my understanding, the chances of the two species breeding and staying colored would be plausible, but not likely?
Frigid Blue

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species