Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Jewel cichlids, need help With these cranky fish

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

Jewel cichlids, need help With these cranky fish

Postby Timcyn7 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:57 am

I have just discovered I have a breeding pair! After seeing about 200 fry swimming around. Over the last few days they are vanishing. Would the parents be eating them? Also today I have noticed the larger one has turned a darker, blue color and seems to be chased away from the fry and the other partner. Should I take the parents out?
Timcyn7

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby samaki » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:38 am

Hi How big is yur tank??? yu should remove the fish only if its life is threatened.
xris :)
musy o tunya the water sounds like thunder

vics pix
http://photobucket.com/albums/d163/Issa-samaki/
samaki

Postby Timcyn7 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:18 am

35g tank. Only fish in there. I'll see how things are in the morning :fish:
Timcyn7

Postby kopite » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:56 pm

They could be eating the fry, but the fry could be getting sucked up into the filter as well. The loss of the fry all at once could cause some tension and perhaps cause parent to reject the other (I've never experienced that, but its possible). You're going to need to get some food for the larvae as they will have used up their yolk sac in just a few days. You'll lose more after the yolk sacs are gone as some will never figure out how to eat. The last fry I had I managed to save about 30 as the filter got a fair amount, I fed some of the fry to silver dollars, and some never ate food.
75 gal Red Oscar
29 gal Jewel Breeder
kopite

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species