Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Kyoga Flamebacks?

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

Kyoga Flamebacks?

Postby Vettech85 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:32 am

I've had a tank of different cichlids for almost 2 years now and a couple of days ago added 2 new fish that I had purchased. I was told that they are Kyoga Flamebacks. Honestly I purchased them not really knowing anything about this type. These 2 are fairly young and only about 3/4-1" long. From what I was told about sexing (have no idea if it's right) is that the males dorsal fin is pointed and the females is not. And also that males have more egg spots than the females. Is that the same for the younger fish or only once they mature? And also is it only the male that gets the pretty colors? Any and all information on these guys would be greatly appreciated as I am considering getting a few more as long as the dealer still has them.

This is the best picture that I can get of the one. They both look alike.
Vettech85

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby samaki » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:53 am

Hi Its almost impossible to tell at this stage
xris :)
yu can distinguish a male from a female by its brillant red dorsal color, yellow flanks and red fins females are more yelowish to very light brown with yellow fin color.
musy o tunya the water sounds like thunder

vics pix
http://photobucket.com/albums/d163/Issa-samaki/
samaki

Postby Vettech85 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:00 am

One of them, their dorsal fin has red on the tips. Fingers crossed that's a male.
Vettech85

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species