Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • 180 gallon krib tank

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

180 gallon krib tank

Postby Awesome Orandas » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:34 pm

So I have decided to take my 180 in a krib direction love the fish just not sure on what to put in with them. I currently have 13 1"-2" in it growing out and waiting to pair so I can pick out my favorite pairs. I plan on keeping 2 pair don't think I can get away with any more than that. So my question for you is what would be a good easy to breed tank mate for them that's colorful. I'd like to find some bigger fish to be in there 3"-6" with 6" being the max. I'm a seasoned aquarium person but a cichlid newb. So I'm trying to learn as much as possible.
Awesome Orandas

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 180 gallon krib tank

Postby axia55 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:11 pm

How are you planning on decorating the tank? I am thinking about converting my 125 to a west African setup and looking for ideas.

I have steatocranus and congos in a 40 breeder that would be moved over, but I would probably also add some Kribs.
axia55

Postby deaver » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:36 pm

lots of plants and lots of hiding pots as they in my experience tend to be quite shy. love to see pics when finished or progressing
deaver

Postby NeptunesNeighborhood » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:44 pm

I have luck with serpae tetras and tiger barbs, neither of which really fit your size profile. I just make sure my dithers are faster than my kribs because they do nip. Word of warning, be careful with the tank of 13, there will be a lot of aggression and they may gang up on each other. If you have good dividing lines you may be able to get away with 3 pair. Just remember no plecos as they will eat the eggs and they aren't quite fast enough to get away from the kribs.
NeptunesNeighborhood

Postby ptrnyc » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:24 pm

Odessa barbs work well as well. Plus, mine keep breeding in the kribs tank ! However they are smaller than your desired size.
ptrnyc

Postby jayzerus » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:59 am

I have a dozen Herlequin Rasbora in with my Krib pair. They are fast enough that they can keep away from the Kribs, but not big enough that they are a serious threat to any fry that may happen to appear now and then...
jayzerus

Postby irondan » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:37 am

i have columbian and lemon tetras with mine. the tetras are faster that the kribs and i have had no aggression problems. i also have a clown and bristlenose pleco and the kribs spawn regularly and raise their fry
irondan

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species