Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Pundamilia nyererei Anchor Island

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

Pundamilia nyererei Anchor Island

Postby mbuna17 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:40 pm

Ok so today I recieved my Pundamilia nyererei (Anchor Island) 1 male and 2 females. So my question is why is it that one of the females seems to be more dominant than the male? I know i just added them but shouldnt the male be the one chasing her? Also shouldnt the females be a brownish grey? The ones i have seem to have a tad bit golden yellow to them. Here are some pics of them.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... otostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... otostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... otostream/
mbuna17
 
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:27 pm
Location: New jersey

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby samaki » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:40 pm

Hi Yur fishes seem quite strange to me, I doubt them being Pundamilia nyererei.
xris :)
musy o tunya the water sounds like thunder

vics pix
http://photobucket.com/albums/d163/Issa-samaki/
samaki
Moderator
 
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:39 am
Location: Gif/Yvette France

Postby mbuna17 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:10 pm

samaki wrote:Hi Yur fishes seem quite strange to me, I doubt them being Pundamilia nyererei.
xris :)

You sure? Those pics were only a couple of hours after I introduced them. Forgot to mention they were shipped out to me so werent showing the best coloration.
mbuna17
 
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:27 pm
Location: New jersey

Postby jaymore1 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:06 pm

IMO they look like p nyererei to me. Give them a couple of weeks to get adjusted to the new tank. My guess is the male will color up nicely and become very aggresive towards the females. With only 2 females u are asking for problems IMO. I would get 2-4 more females.
75g- Group of Msobo and group of F1 Afra Nkhata Bay
55g- Pundamilia Nyererei breeding group
30g- Fry Tank
User avatar
jaymore1
 
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: MICHIGAN

Postby mbuna17 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:20 pm

jaymore1 wrote:IMO they look like p nyererei to me. Give them a couple of weeks to get adjusted to the new tank. My guess is the male will color up nicely and become very aggresive towards the females. With only 2 females u are asking for problems IMO. I would get 2-4 more females.

Yea Ill let them adjust a little hopefully male colors up. I was originally gonna order 3 females but instead ordered 2 if i notice any major aggression i guess ill add a couple of more females.
mbuna17
 
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:27 pm
Location: New jersey

Postby DJRansome » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:03 pm

They don't look like my nyererei, but mine did have some yellow initially and the females still do. In the first pic the body seems very high (tall) for what I expect to see in a nyererei.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
User avatar
DJRansome
Global Moderator
 
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:30 am
Location: Little Egg Harbor, NJ

Postby mbuna17 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:38 pm

DJRansome wrote:They don't look like my nyererei, but mine did have some yellow initially and the females still do. In the first pic the body seems very high (tall) for what I expect to see in a nyererei.

How big are yours? The ones I have are only about 2.5 to 3 inches maybe thats why mines seem tall possibly? The big question is are they pure nyererei (anchor island)?
mbuna17
 
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:27 pm
Location: New jersey

Postby Fogelhund » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:44 am

Forget the colouring, picture #3 female has different barring than the others, and different from what I would expect on nyererei.
User avatar
Fogelhund
 
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:34 am
Location: ON, Canada

Postby mbuna17 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:55 am

This really stinks you would expect to get the exact fish you wanted by ordering online i guess i was wrong. :(
mbuna17
 
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:27 pm
Location: New jersey

Postby DJRansome » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:46 am

mbuna17 wrote:How big are yours? The ones I have are only about 2.5 to 3 inches
Mine are about the same size. They were all silver-yellow initially but now six of the eight I purchased have colored up either bright red or a blush on the head. Only two females. :o
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
User avatar
DJRansome
Global Moderator
 
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:30 am
Location: Little Egg Harbor, NJ

Postby mbuna17 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:09 am

DJRansome wrote:
mbuna17 wrote:How big are yours? The ones I have are only about 2.5 to 3 inches
Mine are about the same size. They were all silver-yellow initially but now six of the eight I purchased have colored up either bright red or a blush on the head. Only two females. :o

Yea I was planning on adding a couple of more females but being that they are not the nyererei i wanted probably end up getting rid of them now.
mbuna17
 
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:27 pm
Location: New jersey

Postby Jammos » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:41 pm

May be related and the same online source here. I bought 4 hap 44 females which look more like obli zebras, 2 of which could be males as they have red near their gills. None of the fish I got have the red edged fins. I am sending them photos to confirm my complaint.
Jammos
 
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:07 pm
Location: NJ

Postby samaki » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:55 pm

All those fishes are not from a clean strain, some seem to be hybrids of H.sp44 and others H.latifasciatus while the male is a nyererei mixed with an undetermined species.
I would not keep these fishes and would not spread any fry from them if I was you...I'm sorry to tell such bad new :( When buying a victorian species, order them from a very reliable breeder and always ask for the origin.
xris :)
musy o tunya the water sounds like thunder

vics pix
http://photobucket.com/albums/d163/Issa-samaki/
samaki
Moderator
 
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:39 am
Location: Gif/Yvette France

Postby SACattack722 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:36 am

I've also got the Anchor Island. Mine look similar when they are very stressed. Except for the pic of the female with the large vertical bars. Looks kinda like the "Zebra Obliquidens" in a way. Once the male establishs a territory then he will color up and start show interest in your females. Also if they are that big (2.5 / 3 inches) the males should def have more red. If he doesn't color in a few weeks or so then they might be hybrids. Def add more females. At least 7 to 1 male. Good luck! Love those P. Nyererei's!
User avatar
SACattack722
 
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:40 pm
Location: OKC,OK

Postby Jammos » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:34 pm

samaki wrote:All those fishes are not from a clean strain, some seem to be hybrids of H.sp44 and others H.latifasciatus while the male is a nyererei mixed with an undetermined species.
I would not keep these fishes and would not spread any fry from them if I was you...I'm sorry to tell such bad new :( When buying a victorian species, order them from a very reliable breeder and always ask for the origin.
xris :)


agreed Samaki. I now have 2 very suspect females. Both became pregnant and I let nature take its course. They provide enough entertainment for my male I suppose but I am still pissed. Certainly won't be using the same online source again.
Jammos
 
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:07 pm
Location: NJ


Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests