Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Starry Night Cichlid

20K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  toxicmegakitten 
#1 ·
I'm looking into getting a starry night cichlid (Paratilapia polleni, I think). I know there's a profile on here, but it's not very detailed at all, and I cant find very much good information elsewhere either. Does anyone know anything specifically about them that you could share? I'm wanting to get him his own tank... what would be the best size? And would he be okay by himself or would he prefer some tank mates? And if so, what is compatible with him? Thanks!

#2 ·
I have a young male Polleni in a 125 gal tank with a Nicaraguanese, a Robertsoni, a Gold Sev, a Green Sev, a Chocolate Pleco, & an African Brown Knife. He is at about 6" and starting to get his nuchal hump. He is the lead dog in the tank, but not much more than a split fin has happened in the tank. I have had him since he was about 1 1/2" as were all of his tankmates. He seems really to get along with everyone in the tank and is like a puppy. I think he would be lonely if he didn't have the others in the tank. Just from his personality. If you decide to get one, do not get a tank any smaller than 18" wide. The males can get to over a foot long and it would make it very difficult for them to turn around. They are a beefy fish, very thick. I love mine!

#7 ·
Well, I haven't kept a polleni before so I'm not sure. Jewels can be fiesty things though, often called the 'convict of westies' ... I've kept jewels with breeding convicts before and they can give as good as they get. I would try it myself, though I have heard that pollenis can be bullies with smaller fish ... which is why I would choose the jewels. Fiesty buggers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.