Lake Tanganyika Species • 40gallon, 36 long, 24 tall, 12 large - Stocking ideas

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

40gallon, 36 long, 24 tall, 12 large - Stocking ideas

Postby Tom Jones » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:48 pm

Hello, at the end of the month I will be having a 40 gallon that is 36x12, but 24 inches high.

I know I'm restricted in floor surface as it's higher than it's large.

I already made a few posts in the past for information about a 36 inch aquarium, but it was larger and less tall. Anyhow, I was told I could get maybe a pair of Alto Compressiceps, some Caudopunctatus and a small school or Paracyps.

I still like the idea, but I was wondering if the stockingsuggestions would offer me different options with this 24 inches tall.

I really love Alto Compressiceps and I'm not totally closed to the idea of a species only tank, but I'd also like to get some suggestions of community setup with two or three species.

I currently have tropical fishes in a 20 gallon (24x12, I'm not sure how tall). I would not mind using the 20 gallon instead for the Tangs if it could be big enough for a species only tank of Compressiceps (or maybe a trio of Caudopunctatus and a Compressiciep ?)

Anyways, I'm open to suggestions :)
Tom Jones

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 40gallon, 36 long, 24 tall, 12 large - Stocking ideas

Postby DJRansome » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:39 pm

What is the length of each of the tanks? Three species would work in a 48" tank but 36" long and less might be better with shellies and a pair of small peaceful fish like julodichromis or just shellies.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Tom Jones » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:05 pm

Hello DJRansome, It is a 36 inches long.

If it's too short for 3 species, could any "Compressicep + one sepecies" work ?

Or even a Compressiceps species-only ?
Tom Jones

Postby Tom Jones » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:34 am

Correction : at first I said it was a 40 gallons, but I calculated and it's a 45g gallons.

Width: 36" (91.44cm)
Height: 24" (60.96cm)
Depth: 12" (30.48cm)

But I will also have another one ready in a couple months : 36x16 base, 19 tall.

I also read somewhere else that Juveniles in a Species-Only tank could be in a 20 gallon ?

I believe they are very slow grower correct ?

So could I go with 4-5 juveniles in the 20 gallons and let them grow until they form a pair and then rehome the others, and keep the pair until they outgrow the tank ? Could it last a while, and at what size would they need to be moved to a 36" or 48" ?
Tom Jones

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:05 pm

You can raise calvus fry in smaller tanks. But when they form a pair they get rambunctious and you may need a tank that is even longer than 36" during that period.

Why not wait until you have the right tank for your comps? If you could get a pair that has already produced fry together, they would be good in the 36" tank.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species