Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Calvus pair in 75 Tang tank

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  escobert 
#1 ·
Hi! So I currently have a 75 gallon tank with 10 Paracyprichromis nigripinnis (All about 2"), 5 adult multis (and a million babies/juvies), 1 Neolamprologus cylindricus (About 2") and 6 Synodontis lucipinnis. I am kind of second guessing my thought of getting the lone cylindricus. I wanted a nice looking rock dweller to help keep the multi population down but, he's now taken over around half the tank and wont let anything besides the Synos near the rock work. I'd read they were a pretty aggressive species but that it was more towards their own kind. Would I be better off trying to get a pair of Calvus for this tank/task and re-homing the cylindricus? And if so any pointers on where to get some? Thanks!

#2 ·
Personally I would get rid of the cylindricus and add Cyprichromis instead of another rock dweller. Truth be told paracypricromis spend a lot of time around rocks and behind ledges. You essentially have 4 mid to bottom dweller species right now.

If you are in the USA there are a lot of reputable sellers. PM me and I can share a few.

#4 ·
Oh, or my other thought is to re-home the multis to a new (shallow) tank for them and go with the 55 gallon sand sifter cookie cutter of 6 Xenotilapia flavipinnis, 8 paracypricromis, 12 Cyprichromis leptosoma and a pair of compressiceps then adjust the numbers a little.

#5 ·
escobert said:
Oh, or my other thought is to re-home the multis to a new (shallow) tank for them and go with the 55 gallon sand sifter cookie cutter of 6 Xenotilapia flavipinnis, 8 paracypricromis, 12 Cyprichromis leptosoma and a pair of compressiceps then adjust the numbers a little.
YMMV, but most people find Cyps and Paracyps to be an unhappy combination. That certainly has been my experience... :fish:

#6 ·
sir_keith said:
escobert said:
YMMV, but most people find Cyps and Paracyps to be an unhappy combination. That certainly has been my experience... :fish:
Well that's unfortunate to hear. Not sure what I'm gonna do with this tank then as it's not working out how I had hoped.

#7 ·
So, I ended up deciding to split the tank up. Syndos and Paracyps to a 40g breeder and Alto Comp pair + Cyprichromis for the 75 with the multi colony. I think that should work out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.