Lake Tanganyika Species • Juwel Rio 240 Tanganyikan Community

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Re: Juwel Rio 240 Tanganyikan Community

Postby bbroom89 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:20 am

Fogelhund wrote:I can see a couple of these pictures. That rockwork is not near enough for the Julidochromis, nor what they are really looking for. They want flat deep caves, and multiple levels. I just took a couple of videos of my marlieri and ornatus for an idea of what they prefer. Quick videos, apology for the quality.

https://youtu.be/hv5slE8mwjc

https://youtu.be/6LQkQ87cjwg

Thanks Fogel, they look stunning.

Very different to what i have then so basically paving slab sized rocks with levels?
bbroom89

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Fogelhund » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:32 am

Whatever you can find that offers flat, low caves for them to hide in, and breed in. They prefer the depths of a cave, darkness. Young fry tend to hang around the flat rocks, often upside down in the caves for protection. Slate, whatever... and build the bottom two levels, so they are just thick enough for your adult Julies to get through. They can produce a lot of babies, once they get going for sure though.
Fogelhund

Postby bbroom89 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:44 pm

Thanks Fogel, I actually have some limestony looking paving slabs I might be able to use. Will try get some pictures this evening for you to approve :D
bbroom89

Postby sir_keith » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:18 pm

Another option-

IMG_2549.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg
sir_keith

Postby bbroom89 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:46 pm

Thanks Sir,

I have seen concrete paving slabs (Which is what the ones i can quickly get although they look limestoney) Are not a great idea to use, is this a common consensus?
bbroom89

Postby sir_keith » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:20 pm

bbroom89 wrote:Thanks Sir,

I have seen concrete paving slabs (Which is what the ones i can quickly get although they look limestoney) Are not a great idea to use, is this a common consensus?

You never know what's in them. And from an aesthetic standpoint, I think they look ugly. You certainly can't make them look like a rocky biotope in the lake, as shown below-

tanganyika_dive_005.jpg
sir_keith

Postby bbroom89 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:26 pm

That is a very fair point, interestingly yours isn't as high Sir, no issues with the slightly less tall combination of rocks?
bbroom89

Postby sir_keith » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:39 pm

bbroom89 wrote:That is a very fair point, interestingly yours isn't as high Sir, no issues with the slightly less tall combination of rocks?

I think you can get carried away with the rockwork for these fishes. That's a 40-gallon Long tank for the ornatus; I don't want 10 gallons of the volume to be rocks. And the ornatus seem to be happy, so... :)
sir_keith

Postby bbroom89 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:47 am

sir_keith wrote:
bbroom89 wrote:That is a very fair point, interestingly yours isn't as high Sir, no issues with the slightly less tall combination of rocks?

I think you can get carried away with the rockwork for these fishes. That's a 40-gallon Long tank for the ornatus; I don't want 10 gallons of the volume to be rocks. And the ornatus seem to be happy, so... :)

That is the main thing just having happy healthy fishies! Will have a look at what I can get.
bbroom89

Postby sir_keith » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:27 pm

bbroom89 wrote: ...That is the main thing just having happy healthy fishies! Will have a look at what I can get...

I used to live in New England, shale and granite shards everywhere, so that's what I used in my tanks. After a while I switched over to 'river rocks' because I thought they looked more natural. That's what I use exclusively now, not least because I have a few tons of these in the landscaping around my property. There are some amazing 'rocky shore biotope' tanks that you can find online, like this one (not mine) at http://biotope-aquarium.info/aquariums/lake-tanganyika-shallow-rocky-shores-of-ikola-tanzania-487-l/#- It's so realistic they even used slightly turbid water! :thumb:

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 10.14.05 AM.png
sir_keith

Postby Fogelhund » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:09 pm

Noting, Julidochromis are cave fish, that live in deep caves... not in an intermediate area, with small round rocks. Mostly an open area, with a few round rocks, aren't particularly natural for these fish... then again, neither is an aquarium.
Fogelhund

Postby sir_keith » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:32 pm

Fogelhund wrote: ...then again, neither is an aquarium...

Difficult to argue with that! =D>
sir_keith

Postby bbroom89 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:59 am

Fogelhund wrote:Noting, Julidochromis are cave fish, that live in deep caves... not in an intermediate area, with small round rocks. Mostly an open area, with a few round rocks, aren't particularly natural for these fish... then again, neither is an aquarium.

That is very true haha!
bbroom89

Postby bbroom89 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:36 am

So we are looking good for fish this week, tank stats are good and shells will be here at some point. As long as i can get them cleaned and boiled the fish will come later in the week.

I seemingly have 2 options Brevis and Similis. I am leaning more to the Brevis i believe and looking to pick up 6 which should give me a good chance of a decent ratio of m/f.
bbroom89

Postby DJRansome » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:49 am

The brevis are more of a pairing fish and the similis are more prone to form a colony where all six have a good chance of remaining in your tank for their lifetimes.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species