Lake Tanganyika Species • How do you do your water changes?

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

How do you do your water changes?

Postby ererer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:11 pm

Title says it all. For those of you that aren't "blessed" with having 7.8+ ph, extra hard water right out of your tap, and so you have to use a buffer of some kind, what's the best/easiest way for you to do your water changes?

Currently, my ph from the tap is 7.4, kh and gh both around 7 degrees. I'm following the basic buffer recipe and adding about 1 tsp each of baking soda, epsom salt, and instant ocean salt mix (I also have reef tanks) to a 5 gallon bucket of tap water and then adding that to the tank. I'm on a well, so no dechlorinator is needed, and I mix the water to temp before adding to the bucket. I'm about to move from doing 5 gallon water changes on the 20 gallon tanks to a ~12 gallon change on the 55 and I'd like to know if there's an easier way, or should I just buy a cheap submersible pond pump and get another couple buckets?
ererer

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: How do you do your water changes?

Postby Auballagh » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:39 pm

You are doing it right. Get the cheap pond submersible pump with a length of vinyl hose, and purchase a larger reservoir. A Rubbermaid, 20 gallon trash can ought to do the trick pretty nicely. :)
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species