Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Multies aren't breeding so im moving tank mates. Suggestion?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Fogelhund 
#1 ·
I have a 40 breeder with:

1 inkfin calvus
1 super red bristlenose pleco
1 julidochromis regani

What else can I add to this tank?

I was thinking 6-9 paracyprichromis and maybe 1 brichardi and some nerite snails

Any other suggestions ontop of that?
(Repost cause my other thread didn't get any responses)

I currently have the fish in with some multies but my multis aren't breeding for me and I suspect it's cause of the tankmakes (maybe the calvus or the juli is eating fry?) So I think maybe I should give them their own tank.

#2 ·
I know I did not reply because I could not think of any good tank mates for what you have now.

I would actually not do 1 calvus or 1 julidochromis. I would do a pair of one or the other.

A 40BR could handle six paracyps (some would disagree) but not more. I would probably remove the BN.

#4 ·
I already have the juli and the calvus. They seem to be getting along well with the multies. I want to add 6 paracyps but my only fear is that if I have the calvus, juli & paracyprichromis in the tank the multis will obstain from breeding/displaying breeding behavior. Is this concern valid?

#5 ·
Three species would be fully stocked but four species is overdoing it IMO.

Single fish like Tangs usually survive but may not thrive or show you much natural behavior which sort of defeats the purpose.

If you had a pair of calvus and six multifasciatus I would expect the calvus to get just enough multi fry to keep the population down, but the multi colony would still be able to slowly grow.

Why not swap the calvus and juli for a mated pair of calvus and call the tank stocked?

Or maybe swap the calvus and juli for the six paracyps and just have the 2 species?

#6 ·
A single fish of calvus, regani or pleco will be attempting to eat any multis. They very well could be breeding, and all of the babies getting picked off. Personally, I wouldn't keep single Tangs, let alone in a tank for breeding fish... I'd take them all out. Maybe try the Paracyps instead, not along with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.