Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Cyprichromis Tembwe vs Kitumba

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Fogelhund 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the difference between Cyprichromis Tembwe and Kitumba?

#2 ·
Collection point. What is the rest of the scientific name for each fish? Example are they Cyprichromis leptosoma (non jumbo type) or another type?

Examples are Cyprichromis pavo which does have a collection point in Tembwe.

There are also Cyprichromis microlepidotus and Cyprichromis leptosoma (jumbo type) etc.

#3 ·
Using Google to use the incomplete names you provided and get ideas on most common use of those names in the hobby, I see that both are jumbos and both are in the Cichlid-forum profiles with pictures. I also see several articles that talk about one or the other fish. Check it out for more information. :thumb:

#5 ·
All true: the addenda to the scientific names are collection points, no more, no less. In the Rift Lakes, it is often true that fishes of a given species, collected at different locations, can be very different one from another. Perhaps the most striking case of this is the genus Tropheus- there are over 100 distinct populations in Lake Tanganyika, but only a few (9 at present) described species. That said, fishes collected at different locales, especially adjacent ones, are not necessarily different in any biologically meaningful way. Even so, most serious keepers of these fishes do not mix specimens from different locales.

An example- several Tropheus moorii populations from the southwest corner of Lake Tanganyika. These represent only a small fraction of the Tropheus 'variants' in the lake.

Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 10.44.41 AM copy.jpg

From- Sefc, KM; Ziegelbecker, A; Steiner, O; Koblmuller, S; Mattersdorfer, K; Neuhuttler, N; Goessler, W (2017) Ecology Letters 20(5):651-662.

#7 ·
The importer would tell you the collection point...it is not something you determine if it is unknown to the seller. You can look at the pics in the Cichlid-forum profiles and see if they are different enough in all their moods to clearly differentiate.

Why not buy fish that are sold under the full scientific name with collection point if it matters to you?

#9 ·
As per DJRansome... if the seller doesn't provide collection point, don't buy the fish.

If you are just looking for visual differences to make a decision, I've provided links. They are pretty similar, from what I've seen, Kitumba are more patchy where the colour variations go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.