Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Mixing groups of multies?

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  ererer 
#1 ·
I tried searching but didn't find an answer to this question. I'm sure it's been answered but it's a tough combination of search terms.

If I try combining two groups of multies into one tank, will they eventually combine into one colony, or is this unlikely to happen? Or is it just hard to say? Does anyone have experience with doing this, either successfully or unsuccessfully?

#2 ·
If you try mixing one group, into an existing group, it's not likely going to go well for the males of the new group. If you just throw a bunch together from two sources, into the same tank, at the same time, no problem... of course, males will fight for territory, some will win, some won't... but that's normal, even if you raise them altogether from babies.

#3 ·
Fogelhund, thanks for the response.

So I think what you're saying in different words is that if I'm adding both groups to a new tank with a new scape, then they should work out their territories. It's more problematic (for the males of the new group) if I try adding a new group into a tank with an established group that already has established territories?

#4 ·
ererer said:
Fogelhund, thanks for the response.

So I think what you're saying in different words is that if I'm adding both groups to a new tank with a new scape, then they should work out their territories. It's more problematic (for the males of the new group) if I try adding a new group into a tank with an established group that already has established territories?
Correct.

#5 ·
Gotcha. That works then. I forgot to add one thing to the initial post, the new group is 6 juveniles, the other group is 5 adults (2 m/3 f), 2 juveniles, 3 large fry. Does this make a difference? They'll be placed in a 55g with lots of shells and space for territories.

#6 ·
ererer said:
Gotcha. That works then. I forgot to add one thing to the initial post, the new group is 6 juveniles, the other group is 5 adults (2 m/3 f), 2 juveniles, 3 large fry. Does this make a difference? They'll be placed in a 55g with lots of shells and space for territories.
Being juveniles, probably makes the situation a little easier. In this case.. I'd add the six new juveniles first, and then about an hour later, the rest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.