Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Stocking a 40 Gallon

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  DJRansome 
#1 ·
Well, my 29 gallon is up and running and we survived the no electricity for 2 days with 20 degree temperatures. After taking the advice of this forum I am going to purchase a 40 breeder and spread some fish out. The 29 will be my Multi tank with 6 Multi's, 2 BN plecos and 8 Nerite snails. That will leave the 40 for my 4 Caudopuncs and 2 Julie Ornatus. My plan for the 40 would be to add 6 to 8 Brevis, 2 more Caudopunks, 2 BN plecos and 10 snails.

This would be the stock in the 40:
6 Caudoponcs
8 Brevis
2 Julies
2 BN plecos
10 Neritew snails

Is this too many fish? Suggestions?

#2 ·
Too many fish IMO. If your caudo's have formed 1-2 pairs I would not add caudos. No need for plecos or snails in either tank, but if you already have 2 BN you could do 1 in each tank. I would probably just do the caudos for the bottom dweller and the julidochromis for the rock dweller in the 40G.

#3 ·
DJRansome said:
Too many fish IMO. If your caudo's have formed 1-2 pairs I would not add caudos. No need for plecos or snails in either tank, but if you already have 2 BN you could do 1 in each tank. I would probably just do the caudos for the bottom dweller and the julidochromis for the rock dweller in the 40G.
I have the plecos and the snails to keep up with the algae. So you are saying just 7 fish total in the 40?

#4 ·
Tanganyikans form pairs as opposed to colonies in many cases. Once you have a breeding pair of a species in a small tank, they may not tolerate additional pairs. In order to keep up with algae, prevent it by feeding less and keeping nitrates under 20ppm and minimizing unnecessary light as opposed to stocking cleanup fish. You will still have to scrape the glass even with plecos and snails.

One pleco should be more than able to handle all the algae in a tank that is less than 75G. If you don't already have the BN you might just do some snails in each tank. Still need to scrape and IME the nerites won't all be able live to their full life span in a Tang tank. I had one that made it to 2 years but most died before that. No immediately and not killed, but failure to thrive with the curious cichlids.

You could consider six paracyps in the 40BR f you want a fish to occupy a different area other than bottom and rocks.

#5 ·
DJRansome said:
Tanganyikans form pairs as opposed to colonies in many cases. Once you have a breeding pair of a species in a small tank, they may not tolerate additional pairs. In order to keep up with algae, prevent it by feeding less and keeping nitrates under 20ppm and minimizing unnecessary light as opposed to stocking cleanup fish. You will still have to scrape the glass even with plecos and snails.

One pleco should be more than able to handle all the algae in a tank that is less than 75G. If you don't already have the BN you might just do some snails in each tank. Still need to scrape and IME the nerites won't all be able live to their full life span in a Tang tank. I had one that made it to 2 years but most died before that. No immediately and not killed, but failure to thrive with the curious cichlids.

You could consider six paracyps in the 40BR f you want a fish to occupy a different area other than bottom and rocks.
So something like this should work?

2 Julies
4 Caudopuncs
6 Paracyps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.