Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Oceanic BioCube 29 Converted for Brichardi Cichlid

10K views 80 replies 10 participants last post by  Aussieman57 
#1 ·
Hi all,
First post.
I got a used 29 gallon Oceanic BioCube from my niece at Christmas.
I decided to turn it into a Neolamprologus brichardi cichlid tank.

First thing I did was to grab a pair of pliers and break out the rear plastic filter area and open up the tank.
The Cube is 10 years old so Next I re-sealed the Cube with GE SCS 1203 Black Silicone.
The Cube survived full of water for 48 hours.

Next I built a Stand for the Cube with 2x4's and Birch Plywood.
Much stronger than it needs to be but it looks great with a door and shelf inside.

The hood lights no longer worked so I removed them and mounted a LED Programmable Light
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FSQHV56/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I attached it inside the hood by drilling a hole on each side of it and use a Plastic tie to hold it.
For the digital display I used my dremel to cut out a square hole in the hood for access.

I found a Coral like rock on a sandy shore of the Intracoastal Waterway and I boiled it in Bleach & Water..
Rinsed it off well and let it sit outside for a few days.

Finally with the Cube ready to go.... on Super Bowl Sunday I added 40 pounds of CaribSea "Sahara Sand", Water treated with SeaChem Prime and Cichlid Lake Salt.
Along with Rocks, Heater and Sponge Filter.

I let it cycle until Thursday Feb. 11th and then I started to aid the Cycling process by adding FritzZyme TurboStart 700 Concentrated Live Nitrifying Bacteria
I added a Capful every other day and yesterday added the rest of the 1oz bottle.

Today I finally added 1 Brichardi to the Cube making sure that all goes well and then I will add 5 more.
The Brichardi acclimated well to the Cube..Swam around for awhile and then found a cave in the Rock I found.
Went inside for awhile came back out looked around and went back in.
He has now been inside the cave ever since.

Do I have a Bashful Brichardi?

I would like to add pictures but I am not sure how to do that.

See less See more
#2 ·
I figured out pictures.

After removing rear filter area and Silicone.

Rear Gap of Glass on both sides of Cube..I could not believe this.
To add Silicone I pasted a Plastic Film over corner so Silicone would not just flow out.

GE SCS 1203 Black Silicone. Heavy Duty stuff but work fast..it starts to dry quickly

Cube on new stand

LED Tied into hood:

Hood cut for Display

Display for DAY & MOON

Getting everything that I need

Background applied to rear of glass..Later I had to remove it because it bubbled up.

Finally Sand, Water, etc.. You can see the black bubbles in Background.

Brichardi in Cube

#4 ·
I was just hesitant to purchase more until I knew that everything with the Cube was good to go.
He acclimated very well..Very relaxed just shy.
So now that I know all is well I'll pick up some friends for him tomorrow and I'm sure that will spark more activity
I just went out 1:30am lights in tank go out at midnight used a flashlight and he is still in the cave.
He came from a 10 gallon tank at fish store with at least 15 fish to alone..I think that It's got him freaked out.

I've been looking at different rocks.I live in South Florida with the Everglades West and the Beaches East.
I need to look for some natural rocks..too expensive to buy unless you go to a landscape rock quarry.
Some vids on you tube show using PVC and say that their fish like it..but I don't want a chunk of PVC in my Cube.
Others show submerging clay pots in water overnight and drilling a hole in it for a cave.
Then there are large Shells.

So I'm still figuring out what I want the Tank to look like.

Thanks for the Reply..

#7 ·
Buds BioCube said:
Added 3 Brichardi to Cube
My local Aquarium store has a Mated Pair for $29.00 each that I'm thinking about getting
Today I get a new Background and look for additional Rocks in the Everglades and Intracoastal / Beach area.

You've either got a mixture of pulcher and brichardi in there, or some of them are hybrids. These aren't the same, or pure species.

#8 ·
[
You've either got a mixture of pulcher and brichardi in there, or some of them are hybrids. These aren't the same, or pure species.
Your response peaked my curiosity so I did some searches..
https://www.google.com/search?clien...+Pulcher+Daffodil+vs+Neolamprologus+Brichardi

First thing that came up was this...
Taken from Wikipedia..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neolamprologus_pulcher

Neolamprologus Pulcher Daffodil vs Neolamprologus Brichardi

Pulcher and N. Brichardi were two distinct species.
Now they are considered the same species, the only difference being that Neolamprologus brichardi has a black stripe running from its eye to its gill cover and a yellow spot just above it,
Both of which are absent in N. Pulcher.Daffodil

The Breeding pair at the fish store were labeled on the tank as Neolamprologus "Daffodil" not Brichardi yet the Fish store rep called them Brichardi.
I will chat with the store but they will probably tell me they are the same as Wikipedia states.
I would not be surprised if the 3 that I have are not their Fry.
I'm thinking (possibly-I can't swear to it) that the Breeding Pair have Fry and then when they grow the Fish store sell them as the 3 Brichardi that I have.

I have been to at least 8 Fish Store's in my area and none carry Brichardi or the "Daffodil" version.
I did have one store that dealt more with Freshwater & Cichlids than any other and they said that they can order Brichardi for me.
I want to get 3 to 4 more for 6 to 7 Brichardi in my Cube.
I will probably take them up on their offer and have them order Brichardi for me.
I have looked On-Line but the Shipping can be very expensive..more than a Brichardi itself unless I spend a lot.

Thank you very much for your response.
If they are Neolamprologus Pulcher Daffodil instead of actual Neolamprologus BrichardiI I am OK with that.
I like the look of the fish.
BUT
I will make sure that the remaining fish I put into the Cube are Brichardi.
So in the end I will have both in my Cube.

#10 ·
Buds BioCube said:
[
Your response peaked my curiosity so I did some searches..
https://www.google.com/search?clien...+Pulcher+Daffodil+vs+Neolamprologus+Brichardi

First thing that came up was this...
Taken from Wikipedia..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neolamprologus_pulcher

Neolamprologus Pulcher Daffodil vs Neolamprologus Brichardi

Pulcher and N. Brichardi were two distinct species.
Now they are considered the same species, the only difference being that Neolamprologus brichardi has a black stripe running from its eye to its gill cover and a yellow spot just above it,
Both of which are absent in N. Pulcher.Daffodil

The Breeding pair at the fish store were labeled on the tank as Neolamprologus "Daffodil" not Brichardi yet the Fish store rep called them Brichardi.
I will chat with the store but they will probably tell me they are the same as Wikipedia states.
I would not be surprised if the 3 that I have are not their Fry.
I'm thinking (possibly-I can't swear to it) that the Breeding Pair have Fry and then when they grow the Fish store sell them as the 3 Brichardi that I have.

I have been to at least 8 Fish Store's in my area and none carry Brichardi or the "Daffodil" version.
I did have one store that dealt more with Freshwater & Cichlids than any other and they said that they can order Brichardi for me.
I want to get 3 to 4 more for 6 to 7 Brichardi in my Cube.
I will probably take them up on their offer and have them order Brichardi for me.
I have looked On-Line but the Shipping can be very expensive..more than a Brichardi itself unless I spend a lot.

Thank you very much for your response.
If they are Neolamprologus Pulcher Daffodil instead of actual Neolamprologus BrichardiI I am OK with that.
I like the look of the fish.
BUT
I will make sure that the remaining fish I put into the Cube are Brichardi.
So in the end I will have both in my Cube.
The status of brichardi vs. pulcher is still very much up for debate, but the latest scientific data suggests two separate species. Even having said that, fish of the same species, bred with locations of distinct variances, are also considered hybrids. As @DJRansome suggests, it doesn't matter much if it's for your own pleasure, as long as you don't distribute fry. Best of luck, and enjoy.

#11 ·
Well i have 2 thoughts about your conjectures.

1) I am not convinced that what I have is not Brichardi.
I will be talking to the Fish store and see exactly what they have to say.

2) Finding a Breeding pair of Brichardi will probably be a hard task.

* Every On-Line Brichardi sales that I have seen make it a point to specify that Sexes is not Guaranteed.

* I have not been able to find any local Fish store that sells Brichardi.

* Brichardi seems to be a very rare find in my area

So at this point my 3 fish are it for awhile.

At this point I will add some plants and some more Rocks. and see where the Cube goes from here

#12 ·
Based on the pics, they do look like two different variants and as others have suggested, best to keep the fry to yourself if they are not pure.

If you do end up with a breeding pair in a 29g, be prepared to rehome everything else in the tank. They will likely tolerate some of their offspring to form a colony. Good luck!!

#13 ·
Buds BioCube said:
Well i have 2 thoughts about your conjectures.

1) I am not convinced that what I have is not Brichardi.
I will be talking to the Fish store and see exactly what they have to say.

2) Finding a Breeding pair of Brichardi will probably be a hard task.

* Every On-Line Brichardi sales that I have seen make it a point to specify that Sexes is not Guaranteed.

* I have not been able to find any local Fish store that sells Brichardi.

* Brichardi seems to be a very rare find in my area

So at this point my 3 fish are it for awhile.

At this point I will add some plants and some more Rocks. and see where the Cube goes from here
1.) They aren't brichardi, that is a certainty.

2. brichardi pair up rather easily.... I'd remove the fish you have now, and purchase some pure brichardi, as juveniles, six of them... they will pair up easily enough. They really aren't that hard to find, many online retailers have them. Even good retailers often get names wrong though.

#18 ·
Buds BioCube said:
Does anyone have any links to pure Brichardi?

I'd remove the fish you have now, and purchase some pure brichardi
What do you suggest I do with them...flush them down the toilet?
They cost me $20.00 each aka $60.00

Thanks for the Replies
I had sent you a PM, to pure, and cheaper brichardi early today.

The one's at Mikes are pure. They are however Neolamprologus pulcher "daffodil"... not brichardi at all.

#19 ·
To Fogelhund & DJRansome,

I got your PM's thank you very much.

I will check with LFS as to returning the 3 Fish that I purchased.
If they will take them back then I will look into purchasing from one of the links provided.

Thanks for the recommendations.
I'll let you know how it goes.

#20 ·
Cube Update:

I have added some Rocks that I found at a Landscaping /Rock Quarry.
The fish took right to them having fun swimming in and around them.

I also added a Cave background but I'm not totally sold on it.
I wanted a background that adhered to the glass and this one tapes to the glass..still it's better than clear glass.
The Background search continues.

Now I think that the Cube needs some Green as in Plants..
So, I did some investigation and discovered that there are a few plants that will survive in a Cichlid tank per fish and water parameters.
They are:

Anubias

* Anubias Lanceolatta

* Aubias Barteri

* Anubias Nana

Best application is to be Super Glued to a rock using "Super Glue" Gel

Microsorum "Java Fern"

* Microsorum Pteropus

* Mocrosorum Windelov

* Mocrosorum Trident

Like Anubias they are best adhered to rocks using "Super Glue" Gel

Vallisneria

* Vallisneria Gigantea

* Vallisneria Spiralis

Unlike Anubias & Microsorum these plants are best planted into the Substrate.

So now I'll check these plants out at my LFS and see which ones I like.
If anyone has any thoughts as to what would look good in my Cube I'd love to read about it.

#22 ·
Code:
 Another plant that should do well is Cryptocorne wendtii red.
Thanks Fogelhund I'll check them out.

My LED Light started messing up so I am returning it today and Amazon will have a new one to me on Friday.
March 3rd was last day for return....just made it...
The light has worked perfectly until the last few days.
DAY Light scheduled to shut off at 6:30 pm and MOON Light scheduled to start at 6:30 pm but the DAY light would shut off at 5:30 instead of 6:30
Also the Brightness level would not change from 100% to 10%...just stayed on at 100% brightness no matter what the setting was at.

#25 ·
Good Heavens! :eek:
We may have inadvertently discovered that the solution to possibly ending World Hunger is cultivation of Cryptocorne wendtii 'Red' in sand! Who could have suspected the possibilities of this easy-to-grow, overlooked aqautic plant?
-
-
Now if I could have just gotten it to grow successfully in my own hard water/high PH Tanganyikan-themed tank? (When literally everything else planted in there with it did just fine). :x

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.