Cichlid Fish Forum banner

My multi jumped out of its tank

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  DJRansome 
#1 ·
I just wokeup to one of my multies bone dry sitting ontop of the lid. He jumped through the slit of the tank. I heard a second one jump aswell but I think it was contained in the tank. Is this a water quality issue, flow issue, etc or are these fish just known to do that?

#2 ·
All my cichlids (and Synodontis) do that, the tank must be well covered.

That said, they do this because they are being chased and zoom toward the surface without knowing what will happen.

So you might look at the tank and see if the aquascape provides safe places for them and see if a dominant male is giving the other inhabitants of the colony a hard time.

#3 ·
DJRansome said:
All my cichlids (and Synodontis) do that, the tank must be well covered.

That said, they do this because they are being chased and zoom toward the surface without knowing what will happen.

So you might look at the tank and see if the aquascape provides safe places for them and see if a dominant male is giving the other inhabitants of the colony a hard time.
Should I add some rock work? Right now I just have a bunch of escargot shells. What should I add?

#4 ·
As has been mentioned it is likely do to aggression. One thing I would check is your heater. Put your hand in the water and see if you feel any current. You might have a potential heater malfunction. I had a instance where one of my heaters was compromised and fish were jumping out because of current in the water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.