Lake Tanganyika Species • Reducing Agression in my 20 Long tank

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Re: Reducing Agression in my 20 Long tank

Postby DJRansome » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:34 pm

A 55G is 48x12 and a 75G is 48x18 so they are not interchangeable.

Lots of caves and overstocking are what you do with mbuna or other Lake Malawi, but you may need a differently crafted aquascape for Tangs. To get you started, the leleupi and julidochromis are rock dwellers. For my julidochromis, what they used was a flat rock propped up on one side like a lean-to and they wanted to be under it. Not sure about leleupi, other members will hopefully chime in. Cyps are upper water and they like higher ledges.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby KitumbaKing » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:58 pm

I think you will be okay with a 55 gallon aquarium with Cyprichromis, julis, and lelupi. The julis and lelupi are very intolerant of their own kind, so most the aggression will be towards each other. I would be prepared to sell off or remove addition males or females if either species produces a bonded pair. I would also increase the number of cyps to 12-14.

You will need a pretty heavily decorated tank as well to give enough cover for everyone on the bottom.
KitumbaKing

Postby Dmhgrosso » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:44 am

Bump
Dmhgrosso

Postby Fogelhund » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:12 pm

Dmhgrosso wrote:Okay so I found a 55 gallon on marketplace, would thatwork? & Any tanganyikan dither fish/mid-top level swimmers you would recommend for a 4ft tank that are better than cyprichromis leptosoma non jumbos? And assuming I have the 6 regani, 3 leleupi & 10 cyprichromis leptosoma non jumbo (or whatever u recommend) in this tank setup, is this considered over stocked or understocked? Is it recommend I aquascape territories for these guys and if so is there any tips on how to do it better? I've just been making as many caves as I can with the rocks. How will i know if my tank is goin or work out?

I wouldn't do the leptosoma in the 55 gallon tank. Just go with the regani and leleupi. Maybe some Australian Rainbowfish as dithers.
Fogelhund

Postby Dmhgrosso » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:37 pm

So as far as keeping the 3 leleupis and 6 regani in the 40 breeder what should I do?
Dmhgrosso

Postby Fogelhund » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:35 pm

Dmhgrosso wrote:So as far as keeping the 3 leleupis and 6 regani in the 40 breeder what should I do?

You've already had suggestions on those. If you want to keep the 40 gallon, keep just the regani and rehome the leleupi.
Fogelhund

Previous

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species