Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Rate my stocking list

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  KitumbaKing 
#1 ·
40 Breeder over filtered with a Tidal 110 & 2 sponges

Stocking list goes as follows:
1 brichardi
1 leleupi (I already own this from a previous tank, currently keepingit in a 20L by itself kinda wanna free up that tank so thats why he's been added to the stocking list)
1 julidochromis ornatus/malieri (not sure which is better)
1 calvus
1 bristlenose pleco (I already own this from a previous tank)
8 multis(im picking these up in a couple days, im hoping they breed)

Any issues? I know the leleupi is a tricky one but I have him and im not sure what to do with him.

#4 ·
DJRansome said:
I would do just the multifasciatus and the julidochromis. Too many fish with the rest. Why not rehome the leleupi?
If I put the leleupi in would it help to control the multi fry population (so I dont get the tank overrun) Or would it just straight up kill all the adults?

I'm not so much concerned with breeding the multies with this tank. I was thinking of doing that in a separate tank.

#6 ·
In the 36" tank I would choose one rock dweller (julidochromis or calvus) and one species that occupies a different space (paracyps or multifasciatus).

The calvus-or-julidochromis will control fry.

When you put singles in a tank together it is unlikely you will see much natural behavior. Be sure they are both males or both females to avoid the aggression that comes with spawning.

#7 ·
Dmhgrosso said:
DJRansome said:
I would do just the multifasciatus and the julidochromis. Too many fish with the rest. Why not rehome the leleupi?
If I put the leleupi in would it help to control the multi fry population (so I dont get the tank overrun) Or would it just straight up kill all the adults?

I'm not so much concerned with breeding the multies with this tank. I was thinking of doing that in a separate tank.
I've seen leleupi males kill shellies to get at their fry... maybe a female would be ok??? but I'm not sure. Frankly, I'd stick with just the two species, you really will see the best behaviour, and enjoy it the most. Single Tanganyikan fish, most often end up being major disruptors and problem makers.

#8 ·
Fogelhund said:
I've seen leleupi males kill shellies to get at their fry... maybe a female would be ok??? but I'm not sure. Frankly, I'd stick with just the two species, you really will see the best behaviour, and enjoy it the most. Single Tanganyikan fish, most often end up being major disruptors and problem makers.
Plus one. When I set up my first Tang tank, it was Fogelhund who gave me this same advice. I decided to try the leleupi with the shellies, and sure enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.