Lake Tanganyika Species • My New 29 Tanganyikan Tank

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

My New 29 Tanganyikan Tank

Postby Pat G » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:13 am

Fish Tank 2.jpg
Many years ago I had a 60 gallon with Malawi's in it. For the last 4 years we have had a community tank with Tetra's, Cory's, Gourami's, etc. I finally convinced my 11 year old daughter that these were the fish we wanted next.

Here is the livestock:
4 Lampro Caudopuntatus
6 Lampro Muilties
2 Julio Ornatus Congo
1 Albino BN Pleco
1 Synodontis Lucipinnis
4 Corona horned snails

Pat
Pat G
 
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:42 pm
Location: Katy, Texas

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: My New 29 Tanganyikan Tank

Postby Fogelhund » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:32 am

Welcome to the forum. If you'd like some advice/thoughts on how best to make the tank succeed long-term, let us know.
User avatar
Fogelhund
 
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:34 am
Location: ON, Canada

Re: My New 29 Tanganyikan Tank

Postby Pat G » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:35 am

Fogelhund wrote:Welcome to the forum. If you'd like some advice/thoughts on how best to make the tank succeed long-term, let us know.


Thanks and yes, any advice would be appreciated.
Pat G
 
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:42 pm
Location: Katy, Texas

Re: My New 29 Tanganyikan Tank

Postby Fogelhund » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:32 am

Getting three species of Tanganyikan cichlids to work in a 29 gallon will be nothing short of a miracle. At least as mature breeding adults. Juvenile behaviour, non-paired is not at all a predictor as to what will happen when they do mature. You certainly can attempt to make this work, but you will need some very distinct territories, and visual barriers. A pile of shells at one end for the multifasciatus, some shells at the opposite back for the caudopunctatus, and a group of caves in the middle for the ornatus... the plastic plants strategically placed as visual barriers between each. Synodontis are schooling fish, usually in groups of at least six. With that being said, I don't keep them with substrate spawners such as this, as they will go after eggs and babies, resulting in fights between the catfish and cichlids. Best of Luck.
User avatar
Fogelhund
 
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:34 am
Location: ON, Canada

Re: My New 29 Tanganyikan Tank

Postby Pat G » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:59 am

Fogelhund wrote:Getting three species of Tanganyikan cichlids to work in a 29 gallon will be nothing short of a miracle. At least as mature breeding adults. Juvenile behaviour, non-paired is not at all a predictor as to what will happen when they do mature. You certainly can attempt to make this work, but you will need some very distinct territories, and visual barriers. A pile of shells at one end for the multifasciatus, some shells at the opposite back for the caudopunctatus, and a group of caves in the middle for the ornatus... the plastic plants strategically placed as visual barriers between each. Synodontis are schooling fish, usually in groups of at least six. With that being said, I don't keep them with substrate spawners such as this, as they will go after eggs and babies, resulting in fights between the catfish and cichlids. Best of Luck.


Thanks for the insight. When they get a little bigger I will set up the zones you suggested.
Pat G
 
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:42 pm
Location: Katy, Texas

Re: My New 29 Tanganyikan Tank

Postby noddy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:52 pm

I don't think it will be long before you have about 200 multies occupying every square inch of the tank.
noddy
 
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:54 pm
Location: toronto

Re: My New 29 Tanganyikan Tank

Postby Pat G » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:00 pm

noddy wrote:I don't think it will be long before you have about 200 multies occupying every square inch of the tank.


I'm probably going to have to set up another tank just for the Multies.
Pat G
 
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:42 pm
Location: Katy, Texas

Re: My New 29 Tanganyikan Tank

Postby Fogelhund » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:43 pm

Pat G wrote:
noddy wrote:I don't think it will be long before you have about 200 multies occupying every square inch of the tank.


I'm probably going to have to set up another tank just for the Multies.


That would be a fantastic idea, and the sooner, the less likely you will have problems in the 29 gallon.
User avatar
Fogelhund
 
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:34 am
Location: ON, Canada

Re: My New 29 Tanganyikan Tank

Postby Pat G » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:50 pm

Fogelhund wrote:
Pat G wrote:
noddy wrote:I don't think it will be long before you have about 200 multies occupying every square inch of the tank.


I'm probably going to have to set up another tank just for the Multies.


That would be a fantastic idea, and the sooner, the less likely you will have problems in the 29 gallon.


Spoke with my wife and she said we could put a tank in her office. Probably a 20 long for the Multies.

This would allow me to put a couple of more fish in the 29.

Your thoughts?
Pat G
 
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:42 pm
Location: Katy, Texas

Re: My New 29 Tanganyikan Tank

Postby Fogelhund » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:42 pm

Pat G wrote:
Spoke with my wife and she said we could put a tank in her office. Probably a 20 long for the Multies.

This would allow me to put a couple of more fish in the 29.

Your thoughts?


No cichlids. Something that swims around open water. I'd go for Neon Dwarf Rainbow fish.
User avatar
Fogelhund
 
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:34 am
Location: ON, Canada

Re: My New 29 Tanganyikan Tank

Postby Pat G » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:27 am

Fogelhund wrote:
Pat G wrote:
Spoke with my wife and she said we could put a tank in her office. Probably a 20 long for the Multies.

This would allow me to put a couple of more fish in the 29.

Your thoughts?


No cichlids. Something that swims around open water. I'd go for Neon Dwarf Rainbow fish.


What would be your second choice?
Pat G
 
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:42 pm
Location: Katy, Texas

Re: My New 29 Tanganyikan Tank

Postby Fogelhund » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:01 pm

Pat G wrote:
Fogelhund wrote:
Pat G wrote:
Spoke with my wife and she said we could put a tank in her office. Probably a 20 long for the Multies.

This would allow me to put a couple of more fish in the 29.

Your thoughts?


No cichlids. Something that swims around open water. I'd go for Neon Dwarf Rainbow fish.


What would be your second choice?


Zebra Danios.
User avatar
Fogelhund
 
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:34 am
Location: ON, Canada


Return to Lake Tanganyika Species

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests