Cichlid Fish Forum banner

My New 29 Tanganyikan Tank

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Fogelhund 
#1 ·
Fish Tank 2.jpg
Many years ago I had a 60 gallon with Malawi's in it. For the last 4 years we have had a community tank with Tetra's, Cory's, Gourami's, etc. I finally convinced my 11 year old daughter that these were the fish we wanted next.

Here is the livestock:
4 Lampro Caudopuntatus
6 Lampro Muilties
2 Julio Ornatus Congo
1 Albino BN Pleco
1 Synodontis Lucipinnis
4 Corona horned snails

Pat

See less See more
#4 ·
Getting three species of Tanganyikan cichlids to work in a 29 gallon will be nothing short of a miracle. At least as mature breeding adults. Juvenile behaviour, non-paired is not at all a predictor as to what will happen when they do mature. You certainly can attempt to make this work, but you will need some very distinct territories, and visual barriers. A pile of shells at one end for the multifasciatus, some shells at the opposite back for the caudopunctatus, and a group of caves in the middle for the ornatus... the plastic plants strategically placed as visual barriers between each. Synodontis are schooling fish, usually in groups of at least six. With that being said, I don't keep them with substrate spawners such as this, as they will go after eggs and babies, resulting in fights between the catfish and cichlids. Best of Luck.

#5 ·
Fogelhund said:
Getting three species of Tanganyikan cichlids to work in a 29 gallon will be nothing short of a miracle. At least as mature breeding adults. Juvenile behaviour, non-paired is not at all a predictor as to what will happen when they do mature. You certainly can attempt to make this work, but you will need some very distinct territories, and visual barriers. A pile of shells at one end for the multifasciatus, some shells at the opposite back for the caudopunctatus, and a group of caves in the middle for the ornatus... the plastic plants strategically placed as visual barriers between each. Synodontis are schooling fish, usually in groups of at least six. With that being said, I don't keep them with substrate spawners such as this, as they will go after eggs and babies, resulting in fights between the catfish and cichlids. Best of Luck.
Thanks for the insight. When they get a little bigger I will set up the zones you suggested.

#9 ·
Fogelhund said:
Pat G said:
noddy said:
I don't think it will be long before you have about 200 multies occupying every square inch of the tank.
I'm probably going to have to set up another tank just for the Multies.
That would be a fantastic idea, and the sooner, the less likely you will have problems in the 29 gallon.
Spoke with my wife and she said we could put a tank in her office. Probably a 20 long for the Multies.

This would allow me to put a couple of more fish in the 29.

Your thoughts?

#11 ·
Fogelhund said:
Pat G said:
Spoke with my wife and she said we could put a tank in her office. Probably a 20 long for the Multies.

Your thoughts?
No cichlids. Something that swims around open water. I'd go for Neon Dwarf Rainbow fish.
What would be your second choice?

#12 ·
Pat G said:
Fogelhund said:
Pat G said:

Your thoughts?
No cichlids. Something that swims around open water. I'd go for Neon Dwarf Rainbow fish.
What would be your second choice?
Zebra Danios.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.