Cichlid Fish Forum banner

29 Gallon Tanganyikan Setup! Help!

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Fogelhund 
#1 ·
If you were to set up a 29 (30inch long, 12 inch wide and 18 inch tall) what would you combo of fish be, for the best "mix" of entertainment, color and success? Besides species only tanks, I'm looking for a shell species and a rock dwelling species. GO!

Side note, pH right out of tap is 7-7.2. I'm in Manhattan, we have soft water. I think I need help with this too.

#2 ·
I just set my 29 up this week. Here's what I have in it.

4 Lampro Caudopuntatus
6 Lampro Muilties
2 Julio Ornatus Congo
1 Albino BN Pleco
1 Synodontis Lucipinnis
4 Corona horned snails

So far everyone is doing well but keeping an eye on the Julio's. They aren't getting along, maybe just should have got one of them.

Pat

#3 ·
Pat G said:
I just set my 29 up this week. Here's what I have in it.

4 Lampro Caudopuntatus
6 Lampro Muilties
2 Julio Ornatus Congo
1 Albino BN Pleco
1 Synodontis Lucipinnis
4 Corona horned snails

So far everyone is doing well but keeping an eye on the Julio's. They aren't getting along, maybe just should have got one of them.

Pat
That's going to be too crowded once they grow out, and my guess is that this mix is metastable even now. The good news? You now have a reason to buy another tank! :D

#5 ·
sir_keith said:
That's going to be too crowded once they grow out, and my guess is that this mix is metastable even now. The good news? You now have a reason to buy another tank! :D
Maybe so, fortunately everything is tiny right now. The 2 largest are my BN and the catfish, both are about 1.5 inches. I would love to have a larger tank but there is no good place in our living room for one. We are planning a major remodel next year so hopefully I can create a space for a 100 gallon tank.

#6 ·
There is a buffer recipe in the library here. https://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ ... recipe.php

If you want entertainment, go for Neolamprologus multifasciatus, start with six or more, and 20-30 shells. Something like a nice quality Julidochromis ornatus pair, or Neolamprologus caudopunctatus pair could work out in the rocks... or even Telmatochromis vittatus/bifrenatus. To get a pair, you'll either want to find an existing pair, or get 4-6 juveniles, let them pair up, and remove/rehome the rest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.