Cichlid Fish Forum banner

New to cichlids, 90 Gal stocking

949 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  tobek284 
#1 ·
I'm new to the forum here and have a new 90 gal tank with a 20 gal sump. I want to make it a cichlid tank, but I have not kept African Cichlids before. Is a 90 gal (48x18x24) sufficient for a few feather fins? I just love the way they look and would really like to keep some, but want to ensure that they would do well here. I have kept smaller fish until now mainly livebearers, shiners, and shrimp, in other tanks. If they are entirely unsuitable for that tank size, I suppose I would like to try some Lake Victorian cichlids. I like the idea of keeping some of the more at risk fish to help keep them going. I will be using RO/DI water and cichlid salts because my city ammonia levels are too high for keeping fish safely.

#2 ·
A 48" x 18" x 24" tank would be sufficient to keep a small group of the smaller, less aggressive featherfins, such as Ophthalmotilapia nasuta Chimba 'Tiger.' That said, if you've never kept African cichlids before, you're really jumping off the deep end here, because these are delicate and demanding fishes that can be a challenge even for experienced African cichlid keepers. Personally, I'd suggest that you start off with fishes that are easier to keep, and work your way up to featherfins, but if you are dead-set on them, at the very least you will want to do your homework comprehensively, and know what you're getting into. I do applaud your desire to keep fishes that are at risk in the wild; I just wish more Tropheus keepers had that attitude, rather than propagating man-made sports like 'Kiriza Gold' or 'Red Bishop.' Good luck. :fish:

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. That's too bad, but if they are really difficult to keep then I will put them on my "some day" list and go with something easier then. I really don't want to put the fish at risk needlessly and I can see the need to get used to caring for easier species first. I'll keep my eyes and ears open. I have time while the tank is set up and cycling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.