Cichlid Fish Forum banner

What kind of Frontosa is this?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  sir_keith 
#1 ·
I have a few Fronts that I got with a tank that look different than my Burundis

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The challenge being... we don't know between, looks like, and is. Burundi have been in the hobby for some 45 years now. There are a lot, that aren't very good quality, and have wonky stripes. That being said... the stripes do look somewhat like the Kavala location too... Is it a Burundi with weird stripes, is it a Kavala... we'll never know, and it' just speculation. If you plan on breeding your group, and don't like how some look, I'd remove them from the group. If they are just for enjoyment, just enjoy them for whatever they are, and what the differences are.

#3 ·
I have five that look like they only have half a mask and the bottom two pictures compare my one guy with Burundis and they definitely look similar but still a bit different. My fronts breed alot and so far only my good quality Burundis have been breeding and I plan on selling their fry. if those are genetic defects, selling their fry might be tough and make my good Burundis worthless. As you can see in the picture, that one has some mooning but he's really the only one of the five that does. Are the five bad for breeding? would they be considered acceptable by people if I bred the four without mooning?

#4 ·
slykat said:
I have five that look like they only have half a mask and the bottom two pictures compare my one guy with Burundis and they definitely look similar but still a bit different. My fronts breed alot and so far only my good quality Burundis have been breeding and I plan on selling their fry. if those are genetic defects, selling their fry might be tough and make my good Burundis worthless. As you can see in the picture, that one has some mooning but he's really the only one of the five that does. Are the five bad for breeding? would they be considered acceptable by people if I bred the four without mooning?
I mean.. what if they are Kavala, and you are mixing strains? I'd just get rid of them, and obtain some fish that look right to you.

Mooning happens, and doesn't mean bad quality. You might not like that quality though, and some don't. I have some F1 Mikula, that have very light mooning...

#6 ·
The mooning has gotten better since I got them so they might out grow it. Would they be easier to identify when they are full grown? Because I can keep them until they're breeding size and decide what to do with them then depending on what they are. I will separate them when they are older and able to breed to avoid mixing strains if they aren't quality Burundis so I can keep breeding the Burundis I already have. if I never know what they are I probably won't ever be able to sell them because I will have to assume they're bad Burundis. If they are identifiable at 5 or 6 inches, it will be really helpful to know. Thank you for the answers so far

#7 ·
slykat said:
The mooning has gotten better since I got them so they might out grow it. Would they be easier to identify when they are full grown? Because I can keep them until they're breeding size and decide what to do with them then depending on what they are. I will separate them when they are older and able to breed to avoid mixing strains if they aren't quality Burundis so I can keep breeding the Burundis I already have. if I never know what they are I probably won't ever be able to sell them because I will have to assume they're bad Burundis. If they are identifiable at 5 or 6 inches, it will be really helpful to know. Thank you for the answers so far
It sounds to me like you're trying to talk yourself into allowing these fishes to join your breeding colony, and if you have quality Burundi's already, why would you do that? Personally, if I had any questions about them, even early on, that would be a deal-breaker. Too many compromises along the way are what lead to inferior fishes after generations of breeding in captivity. Pick the very best stock for propagation; you'll be doing everyone a favor. :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.