Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Altolamprologus sp. "Compressiceps Shell"

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  sir_keith 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how long Altolamprologus sp. "Compressiceps Shell" stay in the shell with fry? One of mine hasn't come out of the shell or eaten for quite a long time. I'm thinking there may be fry in there but has been much longer than 20 days. Should I separate from the others if I want to try to save the fry? I also have 1m:1f Brevis and a single male (small) Julidochromis regani in there.

The others act and eat normally. They keep one of the smaller simbu shell on the opposite side of the tank away from the others with the Brevis.

#4 ·
How long does it take for a Sumbu to get full size? I have 4 that are right about 25mm/1in.

#6 ·
Fogelhund said:
fishguy1978 said:
How long does it take for a Sumbu to get full size? I have 4 that are right about 25mm/1in.
Altolamprologus are slow growing fish. They are mature size around 1-1.5 years. They can continue to grow for 4-5 years.
Thanks, wow.

#8 ·
sir_keith said:
fishguy1978 said:
Fogelhund said:
Altolamprologus are slow growing fish. They are mature size around 1-1.5 years. They can continue to grow for 4-5 years.
fishguy1978 said:
Thanks, wow.
Like I said... :fish:
Yes, but now I have a timeline. Not a cut in stone timeline but a gauge. The time to reach maturity or even full growth is not readily discoverable in the info available on these.

#9 ·
sir_keith said:
fishguy1978 said:
Fogelhund said:
fishguy1978 said:
Thanks, wow.
Like I said... :fish:
Whoops, I need to do memory exorcises :roll: .

#10 ·
Sorry for the delay.
It's been about 60 days staying in the shell, just lying there. It took mine a couple of years to grow full size. No sign of fry. No signs of illness that I can tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.