Lake Tanganyika Species • Tank Divider for Shelldwellers

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Tank Divider for Shelldwellers

Postby puddleglum » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:02 pm

I am closing on a house next month and was planning to start setting up a tropheus tank. Christmas day I had to take one of my cats in to the emergency vet clinic, it turns out she swallowed a big piece of plastic and needed surgery. So there goes my tropheus tank budget. It will have to go on hold and I will have to start saving up. I was thinking of setting up a shell dweller tank next to the tropheus tank eventually, so maybe I will start with the shellie tank, and set up the tropheus tank next to it later. I have a 33 long (48"x12"x12") that I was going to set it up for shellies a little over a year ago, but was renting and ultimately decided not to set it up and then have to move it.

What are thoughts on putting a divider in the tank with a different species on each side, eventually getting a pair on each side.

Would having a conspecific nearby that they can posture at though the divider, help give them a harmless outlet for aggression, making the pair less likely to turn on each other? Would this be too stressful?

Thanks,

pg
puddleglum

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Tank Divider for Shelldwellers

Postby sir_keith » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:46 pm

I'm confused; first you mention having different species on each side of the divider, then you as about whether conspecifics can interact through a divider. In either case, a 48" tank should be enough room for two pair.
sir_keith

Postby puddleglum » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:45 pm

Certainly they couldn't interact in an unfettered manner on opposite sides of a divider. If they can see each other through the divider, however, then they will display to each other and charge at each other, even though the divider will keep them from fully acting on that aggression.
puddleglum

Postby puddleglum » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:46 pm

I also just realized my understanding of the word "conspecific" was wrong. I thought it meant similar fish, but I see it actually means same species. My apologies for the confusing post.
puddleglum

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species