Cichlid Fish Forum banner

180 gallon Frontosa upgrade

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  KitumbaKing 
#1 ·
I have had 3M/5f Cyphotilpia Frontosa Kitumba in a standard 6 foot 125 gallon for a little over 6 years now. I stumbled across a deal back in July on a local fish group forum for a 180 gallon acrylic aquarium with a aqueon proflex sump. I had never done a sump before so I was kind of hesitant.

Things have gone slow but I finally got it all set up. The fish have a bit more room, and one of my females was holding this week. She either ate the eggs or they were never fertilized, but I'm hopeful to start getting some spawns with these guys soon.

The alpha male is 6 years old and now pushing 10 inches. The colony is a combination of bloodlines. 1m/3f are F1s and 2m/2f are WC. I will upload some pictures of the tank and the fish.

I know a lot fish keepers rush to get tanks up, but I have found that patience is key.

Happy fish keeping everyone.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice fish, nice set up. I had a 180 gallon once but sold it when I set up my TV room. A 135 gallon is now my biggest. At times I miss the 180 but it was a beast to move. I guess it is all relative. For those of you with 400 gallon tanks, you are probably saying "small tanks".

#7 ·
The group really likes the upgrade from the 125 to the 180. Also with the extra water volume from the sump it is about a 210 gallon system. I have since moved around some fish into the 125 and they are thriving. The stock is as follows:

15 cyprichromis leptosoma blue Orchid
7 Synodontis lucipinnis
2 left over xenotilapia orogengy
3 male lamprologus specious
1 male Neolamprologus buecheri kesche

I've had some luck with the cyps. See photos. I hope to add some more orogengy and another bottom dweller perhaps some Gnathochromis perimexllis.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.