Lake Tanganyika Species • Return to Tangs, making Xenotilapia work

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Re: Return to Tangs, making Xenotilapia work

Postby sir_keith » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:00 pm

Fogelhund wrote:So, I moved them again.... This time to a tank, mostly setup with them in mind. It's a 4ft x 18" tall, x 24" deep tank, so plenty of floorspace. It's just them and a pair of Julidochromis ornatus for now... probably no more cichilds in the tank. Maybe some Black Ruby Barbs, and Rainbows, just to fill the tank.... Some Cryptocorne aponogetifolia, another Crypt, some Anubias as well soon. I've blocked off sight lines very well, split the tank up, and suddenly, three pairs and an extra male. Not sure if I'm going to take the extra male out yet, or not. I'd post pictures, but, it's so much easier on Facebook to do so...

That's great news. My original thought when I saw your post was that the setup wasn't right, and now you've fixed that. The biparentals really need a visually distinct territory for pair bond formation, which I first discovered with X. spilopterus. I'd keep the extra male around as a dither; he shouldn't get picked on too much with three pairs in the tank.

Some of us despise Facebook, so I wish you'd post pics here. Just hit the 'Upload attachment' button below your reply, then follow the prompts.

Good Luck! :thumb:
sir_keith

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Fogelhund » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:40 pm

...and they spawned... :lol:
Fogelhund

Postby sir_keith » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:49 pm

Fogelhund wrote:...and they spawned... :lol:

Awesome! If ever there was a clear demonstration of how important tank setup is to the social behavior of these fishes, this has got to be it! Congratulations! :thumb:
sir_keith

Postby Hashleywhite » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:15 am

HAHA thats awesome Fogeuhung, I second the posting photos thing^.

@sir_keith, Thank you for your long response. I just now logged on for the first time in a while, finally all moved into my new place, with a bare wall just asking for a 4ft tank. I think I may try for the bathyphilus.

All of your notes are super helpful. And Fogelhund I'll be following your example and dividing things up. I'd love to see pictures of how you achieved this. Or a link to your FB.

Will follow up when I get things moving.

H
Hashleywhite

Previous

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species