Lake Tanganyika Species • Need some advice on an old tank

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Need some advice on an old tank

Postby Ichorid » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:53 am

So I have a 75 gallon aquarium with fish that are likely near the end of their life cycle. In it are two Neolamprologus Multifasciatus who I've had for about seven years now. I originally had six but the other four passed away over a year ago (no luck in breeding them). I also have two Paracyprichromis Brieni that are around ten years old in there that no longer swim in the open. They now stay glued to the glass in the back. Feeding these fish has become a chore since I have to overfeed the Multies to get the Paracyprichromis to come out from hiding to eat. Also since nothing patrols the tank I end up with lots of uneaten food on the sand that I have to siphon out daily.

I'm wondering whether I should add additional fish to get them to become more brave? I can't source Paracyprichromis but I could get Cyprichromis, I'm not certain how or if they would interact. I could also likely get more Multies but they would be young and I would assume I have to split or maybe add a new shell bed to the tank? I also could just get something completely different and I'm open to stuff from other rift lakes since these guys I believe are likely near the end of their lives. But at the same time I don't want to get anything that would endanger them. I'm assuming right now the best option is to just ride it out and do tons of small water changes to keep the uneaten food from decaying but would appreciate any advice.
Ichorid

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Need some advice on an old tank

Postby DJRansome » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:00 am

Will you do Tangs again in the tank? I would add two bristlenose plecos for the food.

If you are going to do Tangs again I would consider a colony of calvus and a group of caudopunctatus.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby sir_keith » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:11 pm

DJRansome wrote:Will you do Tangs again in the tank? I would add two bristlenose plecos for the food.

If you are going to do Tangs again I would consider a colony of calvus and a group of caudopunctatus.

I agree; the BNP's will solve your excess food issue. As for other fishes, I would just add whatever suits your fancy, as long as you stay away from other Tanganyikans that might harass your senior citizens. That said, Cyps and Paracyps are an unhappy combination. Good luck! :fish:
sir_keith

Postby Ichorid » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:30 am

DJRansome wrote:Will you do Tangs again in the tank? I would add two bristlenose plecos for the food.

I thought about Synodontis or possibly plecos as well but was worried they would be incompatible with the Multies. If I add two groups of rockdwellers would that be enough space in a 75 gallon? I can try to do two distinct piles while still keeping a small shellbed for the multies but I'm not certain if that would be enough room. Also I guess its confirmed at this point that Caudopunctatus are pretty much rockdwellers and would leave my Multies shells alone? I know I used to read conflicting stuff about them being shelldwellers as well.

Also I assume bristlenose plecos are tough enough to deal with cichlids if I add them later? I'd like to see if just adding one additional group of cichlids such as Caudopunctatus will get everyone to stop being so skittish and more willing to eat. I would think that would solve my excess food problem.

sir_keith wrote:I agree; the BNP's will solve your excess food issue. As for other fishes, I would just add whatever suits your fancy, as long as you stay away from other Tanganyikans that might harass your senior citizens. That said, Cyps and Paracyps are an unhappy combination. Good luck! :fish:

Yeah I figured they might not be compatible. It's weird that when I still had four Paracyps left they were brave and willing to stay in the open. Once I got down to three they started hiding and staying separate from each other.

Thank you both for the feedback.
Ichorid

Postby DJRansome » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:35 am

The bristlenose should be fine. But I would not expect them to bring out the other fish.

If you want to do Tangs again after your current fish pass, I would go ahead and restock some Tangs that you have been wanting and will not conflict with the senior citizens. But if you just want to wait them out so you can start a Malawi tank (or something else) I would just add the bristlenose.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Trademark » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:02 am

Ichorid, you’ve done a great job taking care of your fish for them to have lived to a ripe old age!
Trademark

Postby sir_keith » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:03 pm

Trademark wrote:Ichorid, you’ve done a great job taking care of your fish for them to have lived to a ripe old age!

Yes, I agree, and I also applaud your efforts to let them live out their lives in peace. When I was keeping about 20 Tropheus tanks some years ago I always set aside a 55g 'retirement home' for the older fishes where I could sequester them away from their younger, more aggressive conspecifics so they could enjoy their 'golden years' in peace.

I also agree with DJR that a BNP will not bring out your other fishes: I have a few of these in various tanks and the only time I ever see them is in the evening when only the actinic blue lights are on.

As for your statement that- 'I'd like to see if just adding one additional group of cichlids such as Caudopunctatus will get everyone to stop being so skittish and more willing to eat. I would think that would solve my excess food problem.'- I think you're right on. Cichlids are social fishes, and having more of them will definitely liven things up. Good luck! =D>
sir_keith

Postby Ichorid » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:27 am

The Paracyprichromis made a good breeding group for me for a long time so I'm hoping for them to live out their glory years the best they can. I'll look into getting a bristlenose pleco for now to deal with needing to feed so much excess and think about whether I want to add more Tangs or just wait them out. I haven't done Malawi cichlids for a decade now ever since I found Tanganyika but it might be a decent change of pace. Thanks for all the feedback everyone~
Ichorid

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species