Lake Tanganyika Species • Black Calvus Breeding

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Black Calvus Breeding

Postby arlauletta » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:59 am

Can someone direct me to articles or help me out with breeding these? I have 3 females and 1 male in a 45 BF, 36" long I believe. From what I understand, 3 females are necessary to avoid aggression issues, but I'm still having trouble with the 3rd female getting bossed around and not having a territory by the dominant female. I had 2 spawns at either end of the tank a month ago and I thought the 2 females were going to kill her. I've adjusted the rocks a few times and still can't nail it. Is my tank to big? Maybe just try the trio and see what happens? I'd like to keep all 3 females if possible and I'm concerned the dominant female will just turn all her attention to the last female and take over the tank.....Any insight would be appreciated.
arlauletta

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Black Calvus Breeding

Postby DJRansome » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:02 pm

The fish are telling you that 3 females is not going to work. In a 36" tank you would expect to start with six juveniles and end up with one pair. Remove the extra females.

It is challenging and a big, long-term commitment to raise calvus fry...read the Cichlid-forum article about this in the Library to ensure you want to take this on. Look in the Breeding section for the article authored by Razzo. I did it once and never again. I had 180 fry from one spawn and had to use 2 55G tanks to raise them. And that was the easiest part.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Re: Black Calvus Breeding

Postby Fogelhund » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:42 pm

DJRansome wrote:The fish are telling you that 3 females is not going to work. In a 36" tank you would expect to start with six juveniles and end up with one pair. Remove the extra females.

It is challenging and a big, long-term commitment to raise calvus fry...read the Cichlid-forum article about this in the Library to ensure you want to take this on. Look in the Breeding section for the article authored by Razzo. I did it once and never again. I had 180 fry from one spawn and had to use 2 55G tanks to raise them. And that was the easiest part.

If you remove the extra females, before they've spawned, there is a high probability the male will kill the female... so the right approach is multiple females.

It's unfortunate that the extra female is being bullied, but it's not a shock, as there really isn't enough room in a 36" long tank for all of them. I'd recommend an upgrade to a 48" tank, but if that isn't possible, remove the female, and hope for the best with the rest.
Fogelhund

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species