Lake Tanganyika Species • Moving Shell Dwellers With Fry Into larger Tank

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Moving Shell Dwellers With Fry Into larger Tank

Postby TheGreatSlayer » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:59 pm

Hello Again. I have Neolamprologus hecqui (I previously thought where Boulengeri, but I since been informed by their breeder they are indeed hecqui.) I want to move them from their 10 gallon home to my new 55 gallon, But they wont stop having fry!!! :lol: Is it possible to move them and their 3 day old fry without killing the fry?

Also... I have on order from my LFS 6 Julidochromis Marlieri juveniles for the 55 gallon that could arrive at any time, any ideas on how i can add the julies to the 55 after the shellies are added without killing the julies? thanks!
TheGreatSlayer

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Moving Shell Dwellers With Fry Into larger Tank

Postby Deeda » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:19 am

Congrats on getting the positive ID from the breeder!

What are your long time plans for raising the Hecqui fry? They will be almost impossible to catch out of the 55G tank for future spawns. As long as the fry are free swimming in the 10G now, you could move the adults to the 55G and raise the existing fry in the 10G.

How large will the Julies be? If they are small enough to fit in the Hecqui mouths, you may want to grow them up a bit in a separate tank before adding to the 55G.

Any pics of the new 55G set up?
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Re: Moving Shell Dwellers With Fry Into larger Tank

Postby TheGreatSlayer » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:36 pm

Hi Deeda, my plans for the fry are to raise them to 1 inch+ and bring them over to my lfs whenever i can catch them or have the chance. The 55 gallon is not up yet per say, I have a filter cycled on another tank im going to move onto the 55 once I start adding the fish. I would be able to leave the fry in the 10 and just move the parents, but the 55 is going on the stand where the 10 gallon is now, so I have to take the 10 down to set up the 55 gallon. all the shells in the 10 are going into the 55 so if i move the fry will the parents lose their parental bond and eat the fry? Dont worry about the cycle because like i said i have tons of media ready for the 55 plus the tetra bacteria stuff to jumpstart the tank, I will monitor the perameters so nothing goes wrong.

The julies should be juveniles but seeing on how marlieri get 6 inches i dont see them coming in under 1 and a half inch long. they will have a rock pile made of coral base rock on their side of the tank and it should be around 8 inches from the shellie's shells. Will the hecqui swim into the rock piles just to torment the julies or should they stay with the shells mostly? Any tricks of the trade to make adding new tangs to old tangs easier/less stressful? thanks!
TheGreatSlayer

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species