Lake Tanganyika Species • First Cichlid tank - Multis

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Re: First Cichlid tank - Multis

Postby OuiBonjour » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:11 pm

Okay thanks.

I also have another question, related to the water changes.

Since my tap water PH is 7.8, and that I plan to increase my tank's PH with crushed corals, what should I do with tap water during water changes once the tank's PH will be different than the tap's PH ?

Once the water is in a bucket, and have been dechlorinated, should I add something else it it, so that it does not decrease the PH once I pour it in my tank ?

I found an article about water changes in the forum's library but it confused me more than anything.
OuiBonjour

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby sir_keith » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:11 pm

OuiBonjour wrote:Okay thanks.

Since my tap water PH is 7.8, and that I plan to increase my tank's PH with crushed corals, what should I do with tap water during water changes once the tank's PH will be different than the tap's PH ?

Once the water is in a bucket, and have been dechlorinated, should I add something else it it, so that it does not decrease the PH once I pour it in my tank ?

I found an article about water changes in the forum's library but it confused me more than anything.

Add SeaChem Tanganyika Buffer, 1t for every 10gal of fresh water that you are adding. End of story.
sir_keith

Postby DJRansome » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:55 pm

Or...stick with pH = 7.8 which is fine for shellies and other African Rift Lake cichlids.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Deeda » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:24 pm

Since you don't have fish yet, just monitor your tank pH after adding the crushed coral to the filter as it may not change.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby sir_keith » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:44 pm

DJRansome wrote:Or...stick with pH = 7.8 which is fine for shellies and other African Rift Lake cichlids.

This is simply not true. Some Tanganyikans will tolerate water that is more acidic than the lake, but Featherfins and many Xenotilapia are very unhappy below pH 8.5: the stress soon becomes obvious, and they only show and act their best at pH 9+.
sir_keith

Postby ken31cay » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:21 pm

OuiBonjour wrote:Okay thanks.

My tap water is ~pH 6.4 and I keep my tanks at pH 8.1. The key is determining how much of your buffer solution is needed in your tap water to bring the pH up to your desired pH. This is done by testing your buffer in a set amount of your tap water.

For example when I change 390gal in my 450gal tank + 100gal sump, I mix 1-3/4cups of baking soda, 15cups of epsom salt, and 1-1/2cups of Cichlid Lake Salt in about 9 gallons of water from my tap to make my buffer solution. I determined these amounts by testing my buffer on smaller amounts of tap water then multiplied the results - i.e., I need ~1.5 tablespoons of baking soda per 20gal of my tap water, etc. (I add the buffer solution to my tank as it's refilling, in small amounts during the entire refilling period).

I would start with the buffer solution in the CF library, apply a specific amount to 1 gal of water, record the change in parameters and go from there. Or you could use Sir Keith's recommendation of Tanganyika Buffer (verify the result for yourself), to keep it more simple.
450gal Frontosa (blue Zaire Moba) & haps
180gal school of Red Rainbowfish
ken31cay

Previous

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species