Lake Tanganyika Species • Calvus illness

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Calvus illness

Postby Liz2525 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:12 pm

Hi I owned 6 calvus (black pearl ) they are in a 260 litre tank with 4 brichardi 2 lelupi 2 altolamprologus compresiceps in the last 6 months they have been slowly dieing off 1 by 1 , Symptoms are ,rapid gill movement and sitting at bottom of the tank. tested the water results are all good No other fish has had any symptoms I do 30 percent water change every week I have medicated the water for internal parasites such as worms I have 2 left and it looks like one of them Won’t make it through the night :( . Are there any diseases that could affect Just the calvus I have tried everything and I am at the end of my tether my poor calvus . I have 2 filters on my tank a external canister and an internal ,for a bit of water moment , sorry for any spelling mistakes .Crushed coral for substrate and coral and rocks for decor , please help all other fish are healthy and are not affected at all by this illness
Any advice would be gratefully received :)
Liz2525

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Calvus illness

Postby Deeda » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:02 pm

Sorry for your losses!

Can you provide more details on the tank dimensions please?

What test kit are you using? Does it provide number values or is it test strips?

Usually water quality or aggressive tank mates are the reason for losing Calvus, I'm not aware of any specific illness or disease affecting only that species.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby sir_keith » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:49 pm

This is a tough one, but it sounds to me like your calvus are suffering from stress-induced systemic infections. That would suggest that this is not a disease per se, but a response to chronic stress. You seem to be doing everything right maintenance-wise, and medicating for parasites was a good idea, but the problem persists nonetheless. Can you remove the remaining calvus to another tank for the time being? Whether you can detect overt bullying or not, it seems to me that the other fishes in this tank are preventing the calvus from getting the 'private space' that they need. Good luck.
sir_keith

Postby DJRansome » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:55 pm

I agree. Unless this is a 72" tank the brichardi prefer to form a pair and then eliminate all the other fish in the tank so that they can populate it with their fry.

In addition a comp male in the same tank as a calvus male are likely to view each other as competitors and fight for each other's females.

You can do a colony of calvus but you would want at least 3 males and lots of females.

With a small number of calvus, even among themselves they would prefer to form a pair and eliminate the other calvus.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species