Lake Tanganyika Species • DIY Multi Decor Question

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

DIY Multi Decor Question

Postby TateLittle » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:31 pm

I’m currently in the process of setting up a 10 gallon multi tank. African cichlids are totally new to me, as I’ve only kept planted tanks for 10 years. Part of the appeal of planted tanks is the overall aesthetic, as they aren’t directly focused on the fish. However, I’ve recently become enamored with multis, but tanks I’ve seen are not necessarily aquascaped - just sand and shells or the occasional rock. This is obviously to give these fish more floor space, as that’s most important. I’m making a DIY rock background with foam and concrete (pic below, ignore glare) and part of me wants to add a rock structure separate of the background. This would both increase the overall appearance of the tank, and decrease lines of sight - but I’m worried about taking up too much floor space. The background is 2” at its thickest base, and the rock (pic included) is 3” at its thickest. What would y’all do? Ignore the extra rock structure for extra floor space? Or include it for breaking up lines of sight?

*I apologize if the background image is upside down, I don’t know why that is.
Attachments
A35AE675-7831-47DF-A241-2038D48DFC1C.jpeg
ECE6FDFF-FA5D-4A10-B2EF-23C7104AE12B.jpeg
TateLittle

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: DIY Multi Decor Question

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:34 pm

10G is in the small side for multi's anyway...I would maximize floor space. They like up to 100 shells.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Re: DIY Multi Decor Question

Postby sir_keith » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:06 am

I'd forget about the rocks; you don't have floor space to waste. That said, and to your comments about plants, you could add a few Anubias attached to small rocks for visual interest (yours) and to break up sight lines (theirs). Have fun! :thumb:
sir_keith

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species