Lake Tanganyika Species • Overstocked tank? What to do?

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Overstocked tank? What to do?

Postby mmerose » Sat May 23, 2020 1:54 pm

This post follows on from my last post about shelldweller behavior.

How many N similis can live in a 29 gallon tank? I have 6. It looks like one of them is being bullied. It has moved over to the planted side and stays up in the hornwort all of the time (the hornwort is there for the killies, who ignore the shellie), I think it must be hiding.

It should probably be out of the tank but the only place I have is a 3.5 gallon tank that has 1 Betta and 1 Otoclinus (the other 2 died). The Betta doesn't seem to bother the Oto. Could the shellie live there with a few shells?
mmerose

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Overstocked tank? What to do?

Postby Fogelhund » Mon May 25, 2020 11:34 am

The tank isn't overstocked... do you have shells at both ends, and do the plants/rocks provide a visual barrier? You should be able to keep more than one male in such a tank, if aquascaped properly. Move the dominant male to one end... and make sure he can't see past half way in the tank.... then see what happens.
Fogelhund

Postby mmerose » Sat May 30, 2020 8:16 am

Thank you for your reply. I don't think there are enough rocks and plants to block off one end or the tank so I will do something about that right away. I didn't see the bullied fish at all yesterday.

Yesterday morning, the remained 5 shelldwellers were fighting amongst themselves/ Even the 2 smallest ones were biting each others mouths. I checked the water parameters and it all seemed fine.

One of the things I liked best about the shelldwellers is that they are peaceful. It was relaxing to watch them hovering over their shells and tidying up their area. They don't do that any more, is it their age? They must be 6 months old.
mmerose

Postby sir_keith » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:51 am

Fogelhund wrote:The tank isn't overstocked... do you have shells at both ends, and do the plants/rocks provide a visual barrier? You should be able to keep more than one male in such a tank, if aquascaped properly. Move the dominant male to one end... and make sure he can't see past half way in the tank.... then see what happens.

I agree. Providing more rocks/plants will not only break up the sight lines in the tank, it will also give the subdominant fishes more places to hide. Good luck.
sir_keith

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species