Lake Tanganyika Species • Tropheus in a community? 110 gallon stocking questions (60")

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Tropheus in a community? 110 gallon stocking questions (60")

Postby nanny » Fri May 15, 2020 9:54 am

Hi! Tank dimensions (inches): 60l x 18w x 24h

Are Tropheus able to live with other species in relative peace and harmony? Say: several Tropheus, a pair or two of julis, and a colony of small shellies (multis). And how many Tropheus? How many if it were just a species tank?

If not, I'm not that fond of Cyprichromis (I think I don't like the shape of them), what other genera could replace their space in a tank? Hopefully a species where I could get several of them (8-12?), and they'd be active as "centerpiece" of the tank.

Thanks!
nanny

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Tropheus in a community? 110 gallon stocking questions (

Postby DJRansome » Fri May 15, 2020 11:59 am

A species tank is ideal with a very large group (15). Some have luck adding a pair of gobies OR a pair of calvus but in general if you want a variety of species, choose something other than tropheus.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Re: Tropheus in a community? 110 gallon stocking questions (

Postby sir_keith » Fri May 15, 2020 12:13 pm

The terms 'Tropheus,' 'peace,' and 'harmony' seldom occur in combination, and Tropheus generally do best in a species tank. That said, if you have some fairly robust rock dwellers, for example Julidochromis or Neolamprologus leleupi, and appropriate rockwork, the Tropheus will generally ignore them. Shellies don't do well with Tropheus because the Tropheus are too hyperkinetic.

Irrespective of whether you have a few rock-dwellers, your tank should be sufficient to maintain a Tropheus colony of 15+ individuals. The precise number will depend on the sex ratio and the particular Tropheus population you have chosen. I'd suggest that you pick a relatively mellow Tropheus population to start out with and raise a group of young fishes together. Personally, I'd go with T. sp. 'Ikola' (like my avatar); they are on the low end of the Tropheus aggression scale, and you can't beat Ikola for a 'Wow Factor.' Good luck! :thumb:
sir_keith

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species