Lake Tanganyika Species • First one

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

First one

Postby Brian2020 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:42 am

So I’ve had my tank set up for a several months and have a rift tank with a few from all the lakes but my latest addition a few weeks ago died today . It was my first tropheus and not sure why ? I’m thinking maybe the diet , as I feed pellets , blood worms and veggies , or maybe getting t bullied after hours.
Brian2020

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: First one

Postby DJRansome » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:06 am

What are the dimensions of your tank and what are the species and genders of the other fish? What are your test results for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Some mixed tanks are riskier than single lake tanks IME and tropheus is both a fish that does best in a single species tank and a fish that can be delicate healthwise if they are in a less than ideal environment.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby sir_keith » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:54 pm

DJRansome wrote:What are the dimensions of your tank and what are the species and genders of the other fish? What are your test results for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Some mixed tanks are riskier than single lake tanks IME and tropheus is both a fish that does best in a single species tank and a fish that can be delicate healthwise if they are in a less than ideal environment.

As a dedicated Tropheus keeper of more than 25 years, I totally agree with DJRansome on this one. Tropheus do best when kept in groups in a species tank, or with other Tanganyikans with similar requirements and temperaments (e.g. Simochromis or Petrochromis). Tropheus require large tanks- 4' minimum, 5', 6' or larger even better. They require hard, alkaline (pH 8.5+) water. They require a strict vegetarian diet with abundant roughage.

In this particular case, your lone Tropheus probably died because of the diet- the surest way to kill Tropheus is to feed them high-protein foods like blood worms (a major Tropheus taboo) or generic commercial pellets. Even if you fed this Tropheus an appropriate diet, he would have probably died eventually from some other cause, because from your post it sounds like his other requirement were not being met.

Tropheus are not difficult to keep if you do everything right; they are impossible to keep (for long) if you do anything wrong. Good luck.
sir_keith

Postby Brian2020 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:46 pm

It’s a 75 gallon tank with a few other tangs , a few mubas. I do feed bloodworms a few times a week and omega one pellets. The first week and half feisty and eating the. A few nibbles here and there on his fins and wasn’t eating . It was a bad mistake in putting him in there with the others who’s diets are much different.
Brian2020

Postby sir_keith » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:05 pm

Brian2020 wrote: ...It was a bad mistake in putting him in there with the others whose diets are much different...

Yup.
sir_keith

Postby Brian2020 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:03 pm

Ya honestly for the first time I felt really bad in doing that . I think I’m gonna get a small tank and do a few tropheus because I love the look and the colors of this species.
Brian2020

Postby sir_keith » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:18 pm

Brian2020 wrote: ...I think I’m gonna get a small tank and do a few tropheus because I love the look and the colors of this species...

You can't do 'small' and you can't do 'a few' and expect anything other than disappointment. No smaller than 55 gallons (48"), and no fewer than 10-12 Tropheus. Start with less aggressive Tropheus, such as T. duboisi or T. sp. 'black' Bemba. Lots of info at tropheusandmore.com. Good luck.
sir_keith

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species