Lake Tanganyika Species • I’m back and starting over.

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

I’m back and starting over.

Postby mobafrontlover » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:27 am

Okay so I sold everything and I‘m finally at a point I can get a new tank. I’m going for a 75g and I’m sure I’m pushing it but was hoping to be able to have multis in one corner alto calvus in the back center and Calliurus. Also need angel fish to keep the son happy, since he’s my way in.
mobafrontlover

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: I’m back and starting over.

Postby DJRansome » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:12 am

If angels are the must have fish I would skip the Tangs.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby mobafrontlover » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:35 am

If your saying that because of them nipping are the angels. My sons 5 and tbh not not stressing that.
mobafrontlover

Postby ken31cay » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:54 am

mobafrontlover wrote:If your saying that because of them nipping are the angels. My sons 5 and tbh not not stressing that.

So the angel(s) are like fodder? :o
450gal Frontosa (blue Zaire Moba) & haps
180gal Labeotropheus Trewavasae Chilumba & Kenyi
ken31cay

Postby mobafrontlover » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:08 am

Unfortunately something like that. I miss my tangs and they are my way in lol. So plan to have 2 angel babies. In the 75.
mobafrontlover

Postby sir_keith » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:31 pm

mobafrontlover wrote:Unfortunately something like that. I miss my tangs and they are my way in lol. So plan to have 2 angel babies. In the 75.

Someone is going to be very unhappy in that tank, because there are no water parameters that will please both angelfish and Tanganyikans.
sir_keith

Postby mobafrontlover » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:45 pm

Shoot didn’t even think about the ph. Can’t believe I didn’t think about that. Lol. Duh. Well what about the 3 shellies. Is that pushing it.
mobafrontlover

Postby mobafrontlover » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:24 pm

Okay so I was showing my son some tang tanks and talked with him about angels and he was so excited to watch shellies that he now would rather have them so safe to say no angels will be hurt. But he’s now in love with trophy’s and chromis. I’ve never had ether, and I’m not sure how trophies will act with shellies. Also I’m citing it down to altos bcwp and a shellie he’s really liking the ocellatus. I know they can be aggressive. I also know a lot of people like to keep trophies on there own. Feel like a noob again. :(
mobafrontlover

Postby ken31cay » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:42 pm

I may be biased here but is it possible this is all eventually leading to a six foot tank and a beautiful colony of Blue Zaire Frontosa? If so maybe show your son a Frontosa and see what he thinks :D
ken31cay

Postby sir_keith » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:13 am

mobafrontlover wrote:Okay so I was showing my son some tang tanks and talked with him about angels and he was so excited to watch shellies that he now would rather have them so safe to say no angels will be hurt. But he’s now in love with trophy’s and chromis. I’ve never had ether, and I’m not sure how trophies will act with shellies. Also I’m citing it down to altos bcwp and a shellie he’s really liking the ocellatus. I know they can be aggressive. I also know a lot of people like to keep trophies on there own. Feel like a noob again. :(

I'm not sure what you mean by 'trophy’s and chromis,' but if you're talking about Tropheus and Petrochromis, don't even think about it. No disrespect intended, but by looking over your posts, I think that either of those genera will be over your head at present. Start more simply with shellies and/or other less demanding Tanganyikans, and grow into more challenging fishes as you gain experience. These fishes are expensive, and neither you nor the fishes will be happy when they all start dying off. Good luck.
sir_keith

Postby mobafrontlover » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:20 pm

I know how to keep a stale tank. I had a wc colony of gibb Kits and alto gold heads including 5 other breeding colony’s of tanks. Thanks for the concern and I’m planing for my purchase in a month.
mobafrontlover

Postby DJRansome » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:28 pm

Why not do the shellies and calvus like you originally planned? You could add 12 cyps for a new challenge.

Tropheus are better in a species tank as you mentioned. And Petros are too big for your tank.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby ken31cay » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:15 pm

mobafrontlover wrote:I know how to keep a stale tank. I had a wc colony of gibb Kits and alto gold heads including 5 other breeding colony’s of tanks. Thanks for the concern and I’m planing for my purchase in a month.

Welcome back to the hobby, I'm sure it will be an awesome tank.
ken31cay

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species