Lake Tanganyika Species • Is this rock pile big/good enough for Julies?

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Is this rock pile big/good enough for Julies?

Postby Blakers123 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:57 pm

Hi all,

As some of you may already know I am planning on getting 6 multies and a pair of Masked Julies (Julidochromis Transcriptus) for my 29 gal. I think I've finished decorating the tank but thought I'd get your thoughts on it before I pour water in. My main question is whether this rock pile is sustainable enough for the Julies. I am intending on getting 6 juvs first and then separate the 4 others when a pair has formed. I would like to know if you guys think it is big enough, put together properly etc. If it is not let me know and I'll have another go. Pictures are below. The aquascaping was based off videos and pics I've seen online.

Kind Regards

Blakers
Attachments
IMG_20200119_213241746.jpg
IMG_20200119_213236196.jpg
Blakers123

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Is this rock pile big/good enough for Julies?

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:54 pm

Hard to tell the size. Basically all they need is a 4x4 slate tile on the substrate in the back and propped up in the front.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby sir_keith » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:23 am

Julies like 'caves,' so if I were you I'd try to enclose the front and/or back of this pile a bit more. Think privacy. Have fun! :)
sir_keith

Postby Blakers123 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:51 pm

Ok thanks for the responses. Just a question Keith - do I need more rocks to enclose the front or back or do I just need to rearrange the original rocks? DJ Ransome, here is a photo of the rock pile from a whole tank perspective.
Attachments
IMG_20200120_212954558.jpg
Blakers123

Postby sir_keith » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:11 pm

Blakers123 wrote: ... Keith - do I need more rocks to enclose the front or back or do I just need to rearrange the original rocks?

Either way works. It's never a bad idea to have 'too many' rocks, but you could also get by just fine by moving one rock in front of the others. Rock work provides shelter, but one of its other main functions is to break up sight lines. Cichlids are much more tolerant of their neighbors if they don't have to see them all the time (aren't we all?). Should be a fun tank! :thumb:
sir_keith

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species