Lake Tanganyika Species • ? Re: dither fish and ghost shrimp

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

? Re: dither fish and ghost shrimp

Postby Tweetysvoice » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:53 pm

I got a new multi set up for Christmas, but it was only a 10 gallon tank so I'm planning on moving them to a 20 gallon long. I have 6 multis and I believe there are one adult male, two juvenile males, and three females. I want to add a few dither fish and try some ghost shrimp but I'm wondering if I should have those already stocked in the 20g tank when I add my multis into it, or should I have my multis get situated before I add the dither fish or shrimp? I'm thinking my shrimp might live longer if they have a chance to claim some hiding areas before the fish do, but I'm not sure. I realized the fish might eat the shrimp. Any insight?
Tweetysvoice

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: ? Re: dither fish and ghost shrimp

Postby DJRansome » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:15 pm

The multifasciatus will definitely eat the shrimp, even if they live until they molt.

What are you thinking about a species for dithers?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Tweetysvoice » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:54 pm

I've not been to my LFS to see what they might carry yet, but I've been envisioning about 6 tetras.
Tweetysvoice

Postby Tweetysvoice » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:02 pm

Oh! And if they carry them and arnt too expensive, I'd actually love to use Cyprichromis as the dither fish. Should I have the dithers in there before I add my multies? I'm doing the swap this weekend. Its a huge project because I'm adding new shelving and have to move 4 tanks to get it done.
Tweetysvoice

Postby sir_keith » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:58 pm

Tweetysvoice wrote:Oh! And if they carry them and arnt too expensive, I'd actually love to use Cyprichromis as the dither fish. Should I have the dithers in there before I add my multies? I'm doing the swap this weekend. Its a huge project because I'm adding new shelving and have to move 4 tanks to get it done.

Nix on the tetras; none of them will be happy in Tanganyika water.

Double nix on the Cyprichromis; they need a much bigger tank. Lots of people automatically think of Cyprichromis as Tanganyika dithers, but they are demanding in their own way, and getting a stable, happy colony is not easy.

Frankly, the Multi's do not need dithers. I understand your desire for a bit more variety in this tank, but I can't think of a a good way to do that. Give the Multi species tank a chance; I have a 40L (48") with only Multi's, and it is enormously entertaining. Good luck.
sir_keith

Postby Tweetysvoice » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:47 pm

Okay. My hubby likes this answer too. (Not spending more money..lol) thanks for your insite! Appreciate it!
Tweetysvoice

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species