Lake Tanganyika Species • Considering adding synodontis lucipinnis to community tank.

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Considering adding synodontis lucipinnis to community tank.

Postby Th1986 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:07 pm

I have a 90 gallon lake tanginkyan community tank. Up and running 4 months with fairly good results. Have lost 4 out of 32 fish.

Parameters - 8ph 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 20ish nitrate

Filtration - big sponge filter and a fluval fx6. 8 or 9 plants attached to stone , various anubias and ferns

Hardscape - 75+lb dragon stone with lots of caves hiding spots and 1 big 20+lb piece of holey rock. Sand and 24 shells for the gold occelatus.

Current stocking is

12 adult cyprichromis utinta (had 14 2 died)

6 Juli Marlieri roughly 3 inches

6 Gold Occelatus roughly 1-1.5 inches

4 black calvus 2 are about 1.5 inches and 2 are about 2.5-3 inches . started with 6 , 2 died they never seemed to find a territory and were bullied should of pulled them out I guess but didn't. Unsure of cause of deaths. Was fairly sudden no signs of sickness. I let my nitrates get a little high somewhere between 20-40 and started doing more frequent water changes to lower them (2x a week) and this is when the deaths occurred and I later learned that younger calvus can be sensitive to water changes (heard on a podcast with a interview with owner of davesfish) .

So I'm at 28 fish. Obviously as the fish mature and hopefully pair off this will thin the numbers out.

To my question

I wanted to get others thoughts on adding some synodontis lucipinnis. Am I already to overstocked or would these work and if so how many? Research I've done seems they prefer/will be more active in bigger groups. So my thought was to get 4-6.

Thanks for any advice.
Th1986

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Considering adding synodontis lucipinnis to community ta

Postby DJRansome » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:58 pm

I would not add synodontis if you have shellies.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Th1986 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:22 pm

Thanks.

If it's only because they will snatch fry I'm not worried about that. But I'm thinking since you didn't specify that reasoning its because they will harass the shellies? If that's the case that's all I need to hear. The occelatus are my favorite species in the tank and dont want to risk disrupting there behavior.
Th1986

Postby DJRansome » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:45 pm

Yes the synodontis swarm everywhere with no respect for the shellies...they don't like it.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Th1986 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:04 pm

Ok. Thats a bummer. Thanks for the heads up though. Local breeder had adults 3 for $20 and got excited told him I'll take some after the holidays but guess my stocklist is pretty complete. He breeds cyps too and sells them real cheap so maybe add 4 of those to somewhat satisfy the both of us.
Th1986

Postby Th1986 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:21 pm

How about a couple bristlenose? They'd love thick coat of algae covering about 50% of the back glass. I dont think theyd harass anyone but would they be harassed by others on my stocklist
Th1986

Postby DJRansome » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:26 pm

One BN is sufficient for a 48" tank. BN have about a 75% initial survival rate when introduced to an African tank. Wait until you introduce other fish.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby sir_keith » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:41 pm

DJRansome wrote:I would not add synodontis if you have shellies.

Totally agree here. I have S. angelicus in a few of my larger Tang tanks, but they never come out in the daytime, so I never see them. :(
sir_keith

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species