Lake Tanganyika Species • 180 Gal Tang Community Aquarium

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

180 Gal Tang Community Aquarium

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:30 pm

O. Boops Nkondwe F1
J. sp. 'Ornatus Kombe' F1 (transcripus gombe)
A. Calvus Black Congo (mostly F1 except 1 male)
L. Multifasciatus
N. Buescheri Mbita
N. Tretocephalus

The trets are new. Just 2 inchers. Growing them up a bit in here. The rest have been together for over a year. The Julie's, Multies and Clavus spawn in the tank. Boops spawned many times for me in the past, but once they were moved to the 180 not a single spawn. I want to give them their own 6' tank. Working on that. I find them to be pretty much sissies with other species. There's 2 fully colored males on either end of the tank. A 3rd holds some color in the middle.

Iggy Newcastle

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 180 Gal Tang Community Aquarium

Postby DJRansome » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:55 am

It won't play for me.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby noddy » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:33 am

Looks great Iggy. The Boops are stunning. They are the only featherfin I haven't kept yet as I always heard that they were super aggressive.
Interesting that you say they are sissies towards other fish. Might have to rethink and try them one day.
noddy

Postby james1983 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:35 am

Nice tank, lots of activity. Do you have any full tank shots?
james1983

Postby sir_keith » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:17 pm

Great looking tank. How many O. boops do you have in that tank? I, too, have been reluctant to give them a try as they are reputed to be among the most aggressive of featherfins. I do have a wild-caught colony of O. nasuta 'Kipili Gold,' and they are surprisingly mellow as featherfins go.
Attachments
IMGP6613R1.jpg
sir_keith

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:25 pm

noddy wrote:Looks great Iggy. The Boops are stunning. They are the only featherfin I haven't kept yet as I always heard that they were super aggressive.
Interesting that you say they are sissies towards other fish. Might have to rethink and try them one day.

Cool. Thanks noddy.
They're easily chased away with little effort from every territory. The trets are new and just mill around, so the Boops kinda harass them. But absolutely never any physical damage to any fish. They're incredibly fast and difficult to net. I'd imagine Ventralis is the same. They never made any bower (this tank and the previous when spawning) and dig very little. I read they spawn on rocks, and I think the distinct 3 rock piles here works for territories for the Boops, even though they just hover over them. Having multiple males helps as well, I believe. A lone male may claim a whole tank. These particular ones do not. The males all color down at feeding time to a light black/grey. Kind of like a respect or fear of showing dominance in another territory. You're a big tropheus guy. You can handle Boops. Kind of like a mid road aggression scale mbuna. Seriously. Or a semi-aggressive Hap like C. Borleyi or Protomelas. I know Fogelhund has commented before that Boops are insane. These guys are not so bad. I wouldn't do them in a 75 or 90, but a 125 is plenty of space IME.

DJRansome wrote:It won't play for me.

Not sure why. That's weird.

james1983 wrote:Nice tank, lots of activity. Do you have any full tank shots?

Thanks James. I busted the lens on my smartphone camera. I'll need to break out the camera I took the video with. I'll take a few after Christmas....BTW, Merry Christmas!
Iggy Newcastle

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:40 pm

sir_keith wrote:Great looking tank. How many O. boops do you have in that tank? I, too, have been reluctant to give them a try as they are reputed to be among the most aggressive of featherfins. I do have a wild-caught colony of O. nasuta 'Kipili Gold,' and they are surprisingly mellow as featherfins go.

Thanks! I think 4:9 or 10. See above for a few comments on my group. Maybe I'm just lucking out with this batch. They're not so bad, really. Of course, there's people out there breeding nasty mbuna successfully in small tanks, so who knows.

This is the only featherfin I've kept, but my Dad has Nasuta Golds. They're pretty chill when I check them out. Nothing like Boops. I mean... they look like they're crazy with the constant movement, but lots of bark with no bite.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby sir_keith » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:14 pm

Iggy Newcastle wrote: Thanks! I think 4:9 or 10. See above for a few comments on my group. Maybe I'm just lucking out with this batch. They're not so bad, really. Of course, there's people out there breeding nasty mbuna successfully in small tanks, so who knows.

This is the only featherfin I've kept, but my Dad has Nasuta Golds. They're pretty chill when I check them out. Nothing like Boops. I mean... they look like they're crazy with the constant movement, but lots of bark with no bite.

Are your boops wild-caught? I'm just wondering if that might be the reason that your group is more mellow than their reputation. Or as you say, maybe you just got lucky.
sir_keith

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:47 pm

F1. 2 different sources.
I really like them in this tank. If I can swing it, I'll leave a 2:4-6 in this display and get more females to dedicate to breeding in a different aquarium. Something is happening in here that's preventing any spawning.
Iggy Newcastle

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species