Lake Tanganyika Species • Recommendations on lighting?

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Recommendations on lighting?

Postby NLW66 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:33 pm

Setting up a 90G Tropheus moori tank (24'' deep). Tank has a black background. Substrate will be mixture of white and black sand. My intent is to stock with Tropheus moori "purple rainbow" lufubu or Tropheus moori ilangi.

Lighting is absolutely critical for visual appeal, and I am wondering if y'all have any suggestions or preferences in terms of lighting. I use a Beamswork DA 6500K on two mbuna tanks. The Beamswork lights have been great, but I am wondering if there is a "better" lighting system to accentuate the coloration of the tropheus?
NLW66

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Recommendations on lighting?

Postby noddy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:31 pm

I found that the lighting requirements differed depending on which type of tropheus I was keeping. In my 26" tall Lufubu tank I used a double 48" t5 fixt. with one 10,000k and one 6700k (could have been 6,500k) bulb. Same lighting worked on Linangu and I would imagine it would work well with Illangi.
On my Moops tank I used a double t5 with one 10,000k and one colormax.
What I absolutely would not do is have a black background with any Tropheus. It will cause the Trophs try to blend in and look very dark.
I used sheets of blue colorplast on my 5' tanks.
noddy

Re: Recommendations on lighting?

Postby punman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:10 pm

For many years for my tropheus, and in fact, all African cichlids I used 10,000 K and an actinic bulb that gives the blue light. It was my favourite combo.

I now, for a few months, have a couple of cheaper LED fixtures on one tank - one fixture I run on the blue and white setting and the other on straight blue.
Tanganyika Cichlids all the Way!
90 Gallon: Tropheus Black Bemba
135 Gallon: Frontosa mpimbwe f1 and A. calvus
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
punman

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species