Lake Tanganyika Species • 90 gallon stocking questions

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

90 gallon stocking questions

Postby Th1986 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:41 pm

I have a 90 gallon 48 length 24 height 18 deep (inches)

My plan is a tang community tank.

I want :

1)multis
2)Julie's
3)black calvus
4)some sort of cypocromis

Im going to buy the cypocromis last.

I want to buy 5 or 6 of one of the species first and then I'll buy 6 of each of the 2 other species followed by cypocromis a few months down the road.

My main question is out of 1/2/3 which species should i add first or does it matter? My LFS has some really good looking black calvus that I think looked to be almost 2 inches already which caught my attention.

The 2 species of julis they carry are both regani and malieri which I think are not as recommended for keeping with multis but I may give it a shot as I don't really want to order fish online....yet..

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Th1986

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 90 gallon stocking questions

Postby DJRansome » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:45 pm

Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

Not much difference whether you stock calvus or julidochromis first. How did you cycle the tank? Why not add all the fish at once?

If you are stocking one group at a time I would wait a month between additions to let the beneficial bacteria catch up with the additional bioload.

I'd choose Maleri.

Don't do less than 12 cyps and choose a non-jumbo variety.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Th1986 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:30 pm

Ty for the welcome and response. The tank doesn't have water in it yet. I was going to cycle via seeded sponge. I plan on doing that next week and adding some plants and snails and monitoring my water with a test kit. The owner at the LFS is going to sell me a sponge filter out of one of his tanks and send me home with some seeded media to put in my canister as well. He said i could add fish that day going the seeded route but I wanted to start with some java fern , and snails and use my test kit for peace of mind before adding fish. I wasnt sure if adding 15-18 fish right off the bat would be to much so I thought start with 5 or 6. Then 10-12 a few weeks later and then a like a month later 12-16 cypocromis to finish stocking.

I can get my hands on everything but the cypocromis locally so i was going to ask them to special order those if not take the plunge and make a online order which id like to avoid just because I've never had livestock shipped as the thought is intimadating to me.
Th1986

Postby Th1986 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:42 pm

Double post sorry.

If I could add the calvus juli and multis all at once though I'd certainly prefer doing so i just wasnt sure if i should slowly build up
Th1986

Postby DJRansome » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:03 am

If he is giving you canister media and a sponge filter, you should be OK adding the calvus and julidochromis and multifasciatus at once. The problem with waiting is you need to feed the bacteria to keep them alive. The fish produce ammonia to feed the bacteria.

But then I would wait a month before adding the cyps. This month is when you are verifying your tank is stable. You don't really know what bioload the sponge and media was supporting before so you need to give the bacteria to catch up if necessary.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species