Switch to full site
Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.
Post a reply

Tropheus Duboisi Halembe additions to dedicated tank?

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:42 pm

I recently posted that I had a Tropheus Duboisi Halembe who I added to my start up cichlid tank. Unfortunately I did not read enough about him ( or I would not have purchased him ) and he quickly got bloat but I was on it quickly at least. I put in him a 10 gallon tank for treatment and isolation. He is looking better. When he has fully recovered I want to set up another tank just for him. So looking at tank mates I was thinking of getting 2-3 females to go with him of the same gene pool. The odd thing is...I read that the male should be the only male in the tank with 2-3 females....but I also read in the same sentence that he should be in a tank with approx 10 fish. How does that work? So can I also have a male Tropheus of another color with females as well? I am confused. Thanks for responding in advance. :fish:

Re: Tropheus Duboisi Halembe additions to dedicated tank?

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:58 pm

Ideal for tropheus is to be in a 75G with a large group of tropheus of the same species...like 15 fish.

Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:22 pm

Thank you DJ. When you say same species...should it be only Tropheus Duboisi Halembe or can it also include other tropheus?

Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:02 pm

I was hoping a 40 gallon tank would be ok for tropheus since that is what I have extra.

Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:23 pm

I don't think a 40G will work to manage aggression. Same species, only duboisi Halembe.

Why not rehome him and get something that works for the 40G?
Post a reply