Lake Tanganyika Species • New Tanganyika Setup: Helpful Tips or Resources for Calvus?

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Re: New Tanganyika Setup: Helpful Tips or Resources for Calv

Postby Witch Slapped » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:01 pm

Inkfins are great, they're what I originally wanted. However, the black calvus I did get are SUPER black and basically inkfins, plus they got the spots on their dorsal fins, so I think they look amazing. One of these days I'm gonna have a frontosa aquarium haha.

Sorry I haven't posted any pics yet. I'm terrible at uploading them to my laptop from my phone. I'll try to get some up this coming week.

After adding some more calvus caves the brute actually calmed down a bit. I think the leleupi helped the calvus calm down in general. The calvus went after the lupi for a bit any time they got too close to their territory, but the lupi give absolutely zero f***s so they just kept chasing each other around the aquarium as they always have. I think that constant motion and liveliness helped put the calvus at ease. The brute is even sharing his cave with one of the females (I'm pretty sure I have a 2:2 ratio now that I've had time to observe) so that's a pretty big deal. They still bicker at feeding time, but I hope theyre starting to form a pair.

B2LL wrote:
They did have a nice selection of Calvus but they were all onsie twosie selections and I’m looking for a group of 8 or so of Inkfins. It was great to find a shop relatively close who love and carry Tanganyikans. They had some really sweet Frontosas too, man I need a bigger tank.

Have you tried putting the brute in solitary? Might allow the others to pair off. Would love to see some pics.
Witch Slapped

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Witch Slapped » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:19 pm

Sorry for the long overdue update, but if anyone is still interested in the progress of these aquariums, I have a bunch of pics posted up on my instagram: https://www.instagram.com/grimgrinningfish/
Witch Slapped

Postby B2LL » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:24 pm

Very nice! Since I last posted I’ve found a good source locally. Currently at 6- Orange Comps, 3- Goldhead Comps, 2 wild caught Red Gombe Comps and 6- Black Calvus along with 6- Helianthus. Still on the hunt for the ever elusive Inkfins. For some reason my Imgur pics don’t want to post here, gotta figure that out
B2LL

Postby Witch Slapped » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:17 am

Wow, sounds like a nice selection! Wish imgur wasn't giving you so much trouble.

I know I've seen some inkfins go up on Aquabid over the past few months from a user by the name of MrTim. Could be worth checking out if you don't mind aquabids.
Witch Slapped

Postby B2LL » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:55 pm

I’ll get the pics figured out eventually, I hope.

I did find some Inkfins out of Texas but my guy here is looking and it would save about $80 in shipping to buy from him. I figure that’s $80 more in fish that way :)
B2LL

Postby B2LL » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:00 pm

Figured I’d try again and...

Now to upload some more.

:)
B2LL

Postby B2LL » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:33 pm

And a few more...

Hopefully the beginning of a long relationship...

A goldhead...

An orange...

F0 Red Gombe (bad pic, one of the newest and shyest additions)...

And a Helianthus...

B2LL

Postby Witch Slapped » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:17 pm

Very nice group! The Helianthus in particular already look like they're doing well.

I wound up getting a pair of goldheads for my 30 gal with the ocellatus to be kind of a centerpiece fish. Unfortunately I was out of town a couple weekends ago and while my father was house sitting for the fish and dog, the male goldhead somehow died. He doesn't know what happened, it's disappointing. I might just find someone to take the female goldhead locally and try and breed the ocellatus instead. Not sure.

I have some leleupi fry as well. I was surprised to see a few free swimmers last night during feeding. I'm shocked that the bristlenose or the calvus hadn't eaten the eggs or young. We'll see if I can raise any of them. Not the cichlids in that aquarium that I was trying to breed, but hey at least I know conditions are good for the calvus haha.
Witch Slapped

Postby B2LL » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:24 am

Bummer about the goldhead, always tough to lose a fish. How are the lelupi fry doing? Pretty amazing that the altos haven’t made them a meal by the time you saw them. I picked up 4 gold occelatus the other day, I had always heard they were pretty aggressive with each other but had no idea how much. I floated them for 15 minutes and when I went to cut them open one of them had a death grip on the back of another ones head and wouldn’t let go. He was shaking him like a bulldog. I quickly got them in the tank and they were all alive but have only seen 2 since. I haven’t found any bodies and the others could be somewhere in the shell bed or rocks but I have a feeling they probably aren’t. Also picked up 4 Chaitika comps which are doing great.

B2LL

Previous

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species